web sales

burnin on wax

Well, I'm sure you will have a ton of people chime in on this.

It takes quite awhile to start making money on a website. It seems to take forever for search engines to pick you up. AND there are a zillion candle websites out there, so what is going to make people want to come to your site and buy?

I know there are some people out there who have instant success.... ie: a company on this board recently launched a website, BUT after being a member of this board for years (and I'm sure others) and particapating in numerous swaps, where people are trying, loving, and trusting the product. So by the time the sight goes up, instant cliental. I'm sure she is doing very well.

BUT that is the rare case. Plan on supporting your site out of pocket for at least a year (or more).... web hosting, shopping cart fees, domain names ETC. Maybe you'll be lucky and and you'll cover all those cost and then some. Smartest thing though is to be prepared to foot the bill for some time to come. This business is not an overnight success type thing.

If you don't have wholesale accounts, consider getting out there and getting some. Wholesale accounts are our bread and butter.... our website cliental are usually repeat buyers from a wholesale account. Tried the candles, loved them and they come back through the website to have access to all our product.

Repeat business is the highest compliment.

Good luck on your endeavor..... but be prepared for a slow and exspensive journey :embarasse

While I agree that it does take awhile for web sales to pick up, I must add that the best way to make sure search engines will pick up your site is to make sure you have plenty of keywords in your META tag line which should be the first thing after your <HEAD> and before the <BODY> tag of your page. IF you have designed the site yourself you will know where to do this, if you have someone else design it for you, make sure you mention this to them.

My website has been up for less than 3 wks, and I've gotten 7 orders. Two of them were rather large. I thought it would take months to get up to my sales goal, but I've almost met my monthly sales goal (for now) in my first month online! Before starting the website and business, I sent out monthly newsletters with a tidbit of info in each issue and available soap for family and friends. I have tons of the stuff piling up, so why not? They forwarded the newsletter to people they knew and my mailing list grew. From the beginning, I explained that my plan was to start a business, what date I would start charging for products, and that those on the mailing list would be eligible for special deals. I've spent $0 on advertising and sold to complete strangers in my first week online. It's been easier than I expected, but it did take lots of planning and freebies at first using this strategy. The other downside is that my entire mailing list stocked up before my opening day so my orders are coming from elsewhere for now. But it's working for me. I would like to work on optimizing my site for search engines as well to bring more new traffic to the site. My approach is a little different so thought I would share it.

I think you also have to factor in your existing customer base, if you have one. I got quick web sales too when my site went live, but I already had a lot of internet contacts familiar with my products and lots of local customers in the metro area here. Just something to take into consideration.

A clean, well-coded site with lots of keyword-rich text and great meta tags will really help. Be patient for search engines to crawl your site and pick up on your keywords; sometimes it takes a little time.

i pay $12 a month thru handcraftmarket.com and she is great. The mal's shopping cart is free unless you want real time shipping then it is only $24 a year. I only paid $8 for the domain name. I did pay studiobeck.com $35 for my own logo and about $130 for my own graphics. So i don't think it cost a lot to maintain but maybe a little to start it. Depends on who you use. i don't know much about html codes and stuff like that. That is why i went thru handcraftmarket.com (i was going to use DIYestores.com but they took to long to open after the holidays and i didn't want to wait)

as far as driving traffic to your site i used this person and have already meet my goal for the month. http://www.ecommercediva.com/cmd.php?af=547738

she had a free telenar that was great and i am going to get her cd's when i get a chance. i just spent $150 on the chamber of commerce *faint* hoping to get some lead thru there as well.

I have a business resource section on my website that has alot of information on building and promoting an online business including some free ebooks to download.

You can find it here: http://www.diyestores.com/businessresources.html

I try to update that page on a regular basics so please feel free to bookmark it and check back. Hopefully you can find some of the resources useful to you! :)

Good luck!!

Shelly T

DIYeStores.com

I think it does take a bit to get regular orders on a site. Even if well designed, it has to be promoted. Most of my sales have been from people I have delt with at shows. I get additional orders after I have done a show in the area.. and they remember me at the holidays.

I am looking to get into the wholsale arena so I hope that will help as well. Posting on boards like this so you are a back link gets the search engines finding you and helps traffic. Am also thinking about joining a mart/mall but have not really had the time to check any out.

I have not had my site for a year yet and it seems to be slow right now. Because I live in a small town the locals just call and tell me what they want.. even if they have looked at the web site for availability. But the fall was a good time for me, seemed every day had orders.

• 2 weeks later...

I do not have a website up and running yet, but while considering the option, I had a conversation with the owner of a b&b supplier who was kind enough to share some some of her sources with me, as well as information related to how her operation works, because I too was interested in knowing what type of income could be expected.

Her site sells soap bases, fragrance oils, molds (her specialty), imbeds, bath confetti, and several other supplies.

She has been in business for about 3 years and said she averages about $800 a week in sales. That would amount to $41,600 per year. If you divide that number in half to figure in the wholesale cost of her supplies, that would net her a salary of $20,800--not a good amount to have to live on, but a nice supplemental income.

In reality, that figure should be even less, because I did not factor in the cost of internet advertising she does, which she says is vital to achieving success.

I have not had my site for a year yet and it seems to be slow right now. Because I live in a small town the locals just call and tell me what they want.. even if they have looked at the web site for availability. But the fall was a good time for me, seemed every day had orders.

That is normal for e-tailers. This time of year is slower for retail sales overall. Not to worry! Things pick back up in the spring, and positively ZOOM during the busy season (fall-Christmas). :)

Check out Designer 218. The setup is similar to DIY Stores. The owner is great to work with. Very helpful.

Chauna

Just wanted to point out that DIYeStores.com does NOT offer the same type of system as they do. They are offering a site builder only. We offer a FULL eStore builder. BIG difference!

I think alot of people get confused with that. With their site builder, you still need to use a 3rd party shopping cart (Mals). With DIYeStores.com you do NOT need a 3rd party shopping cart. Ours is a complete system and comes with the shopping cart already built-in.

Just want to make that clear so people don't get confused on what they are getting with DIYeStores.com!

Thanks!!

Chauna,

Actually the setup (backend) is much different as well! :)

And I'm not saying it's a bad thing, just don't want people to think what we offer and what they offer are the same or that they work the same way, as they don't!

Using the Mals free cart is fine for some but there are people out there that do not want to use a free shopping cart or an open end source software. And DIYeStores is NOT either of those, so just want to make sure anyone considering DIY knows that! :)

Thanks!

Okay I retract what I said that it was like DIY Stores. It is definately like Create A Shoppe.

I didn't like the other two because of customer service. I didn't feel I was getting the help I needed to get the website up from the people who ran the website.

Sorry if I offended anyone.

Chauna

Chauna,

Yes it is like create a shoppe. They both use the same softeware. So that was just my point that DIY does not use the same system they use. Again not putting it down, just didn't want to confuse anyone into thinking we use the same system.

And you didn't offend me at all so need to say you are sorry! :)

Thanks!!!

As someone who has designed sites for others, as well as our own 2 company sites, I suggest you have the pages ready to go and all prepared before making them "live". For anyone interested....Front Page is an excellent user friendly program for designing your own site. From there you just upload it to your host. We're currently using IPowerWeb for $6.95 hosting fee.

Chauna: When will we get to see what fragrances you have to offer?

LOL When I decide what to carry. I am clueless. I have a few favorites and I have a bestseller but I am still clueless as to what to pick and what everyone likes other than a few of the ones I have used in the past.

Chauna

Well I would think it best to have a selection available for the customers to see before making your web site "live" IMHO, not many sales will be generated if the customer doesn't know what's out there.