wick dipping???

There are differing opinions on why to prime the wick. I do it so it gets rid of air trapped in the wick and for the ease of lighting the candle. You can pour a candle without priming it. Also I think it helps keep the wick straight when you pour.

As for large orders If I had that I would buy it already primed.

I have thought about unwinding the wick from the spool into the melted wax and then holding a paper towel at the edge of the pot to wipe the excess wax off as I rewind the wick back onto the spool. I haven't tried it yet so I don't know how well it would work.

I have thought about unwinding the wick from the spool into the melted wax and then holding a paper towel at the edge of the pot to wipe the excess wax off as I rewind the wick back onto the spool. I haven't tried it yet so I don't know how well it would work.

Haven't tried doing the spool of wick. Just a few yrds. at a time. But sounds to much for me. Just order primed wicks. (may have to think of this for first :tiptoe: spool buys though)

depends on the type of wicking you are buying...if its primed on the spools or not. I'd ask your supplier if you can get it primed next time. Until then, the easiest way to prime it is to drag it through a high temp wax (paraffin works the best). Dragging is easy, simply heat your priming wax to recommended temp, then slowly pull your wicking through it. If you want you can drag it through a pan of cool water to help it cool. The key is to keep it straight while you pull it, rather than dip it. It takes time, so I would advise that you set up to do all you wicking at once, not as you need it. HTH

If you are wicking in the mold, I think priming the wick is not necessary. If you are using wick pins and wicking after unmolding, priming is essential. I usually do a few yards at a time and hang them to dry (binder clips on the lip of a tall shelf).