today's lessons

Two things I don't plan on repeating...

1. label your jars - BEFORE you fill them...

I'm testing wicks, luckily 3 in a series, and wicked, filled, and walked away to get labels. Came back and kids were playing with the jars... Oh well, I should be able to tell from the burn-rate/MP. If not I guess any will work LOL.

2. keep flammable materials away from candles...

I got my candles all set up on the counter. Made sure they weren't directly under the cabinets above. Did NOT make sure to remove the big yellow stickies I had on the edge of the cabinets. The candles were NOT under them, but the draft from the candles (I think) made the paper curl out... Luckily I was standing right next to them when it happened. Stupid stupid stupid woman.

Sorry to hear that, Carebear!

I had posted this earlier and thought it was worth mentioning again, if you are using glass containers, you can get a "wet erase" marker to write directly on the glass. I bet it would also work with tins? The marker wipes off with a damp cloth. Recently I converted to a laundry marker called "Rub a Dub" by Sharpie. It sticks even better than the wet erase marker, and only comes off with windex and a little elbow grease. HTH!

Not only label the jars before you fill them, but label them before you get your wicks out and immediately go from wick in the bag to wick in the container. I can't count the number of times I've taken three wicks out of bags, put them all in one hand, then looked down at them and gone "Uh oh." :rolleyes2

BTW -- really small Avery labels work as well -- since I've wised up and used them I haven't run into the wick shell game anymore. :grin2:

Not only label the jars before you fill them, but label them before you get your wicks out and immediately go from wick in the bag to wick in the container. I can't count the number of times I've taken three wicks out of bags, put them all in one hand, then looked down at them and gone "Uh oh." :rolleyes2

BTW -- really small Avery labels work as well -- since I've wised up and used them I haven't run into the wick shell game anymore. :grin2:

SG - I feel better knowing I'm not alone!

I have been using a sharpie on the jar (I found that the dry erase would disapear from the heat), I kept losing the post-it notes. It's funny to see my friends get that funny look on their face when they check out my current candles with writing all over them. Conversation piece, I guess.