Sharing Encouragment

Soy candle making is not for the faint of heart. I currently make only one size soy candle using CB-pure soy wax in a 6oz. frosted deco jar. No dyes and only body care FO's. This is a most difficult jar to wick and i have considered changing but my customers are deeply in love with the jar so i accept thier challenge of making a quality candle in this paticular jar. The resaerch i have done both on the web and by speaking to the distributors of the wax i use, while helpfull, can add more aggervation to the pursuit of my goal. I have also considered other application of soy in lotions and soap but the all-in-one candle/body product is very fetching for people.

I love the idea of a soy candle that is body friendly. My main reason for this is that i have a special needs son and we live in New England where dry skin especialy in the winter can be brutal. I use the candle on a warmer and then apply to his rough little knees and i can honestly say it has worked wonderfully on him. i have even given up spray perfume for the everyday use of my candles. we smell fantastic and are as soft as a baby's tushie. what more could you ask for? I try to keep this candle as pure as possible so i can continue to use it as a body oil. Now that soy is being used in everything from lotion to make-up the marketing of this candle gets easier.

My success has come first from my personal use and from there the sincere "word of mouth" advertising. I have a grand goal for my candles and hope to make this my livelyhood. I want to thank all of you for the information you share on here and say that for whatever reason you make your candles that your contribution helps in so many way. I have learned so much from all of you just by reading your posts.

To each of you best of luck and i cant wait to see what comes next.

Cheers

ScentedGrace

I would like to know how you are marketing your candle, I mean explaining it to people. Also, how are you labeling it? If you are intending to have it used as skin care product, do you need to label it like B&B with ingredients and all? I know that the wax is very softening to the skin and this is a great idea, but how do you cover all of the bases? Such as if someone has an allergic reaction or something? I'm just curious.

What's a "body care FO"?
Many FO suppliers label their products as safe for cosmetic scenting purposes, like soap, lotions, etc.; and those that are intended for other purposes, like room freshener sprays, candle scenting, etc. Still others specify whether an FO or EO can be used directly on the skin with no further dilution.
how do you cover all of the bases? Such as if someone has an allergic reaction or something?
I don't think we CAN cover ALL the bases, but we can strive for a happy medium and to try to learn about some of the more common allergans we can avoid; however, some responsibility for individual sensitivites must be born by each individual!

Here are some articles relating to this issue...

• from Keep Media,

The Green Guide, "Safe Scents"

• from Google Answers, Q: Soy allergy and cosmetics/personal care products

• regarding contact dermititus and multiple allergy to essential oils, this article about gas chromotography reveals the allergen in 2 cases of multiple essential oil allergies...

Essential or fragrant oils are volatile odourous mixtures of organic chemical compounds that are widely used in aromatherapy and in the perfume industry. Because of their frequent use, allergy to essential oils is being increasingly recognized. We report 2 cases of multiple allergies to essential oils in professional aromatherapists. Gas chromatography/mass spectrometry was used to analyse the oils in order to identify a common allergen responsible for the contact dermatitis. In both the cases, α- and β-pinene were found to be the most common constituent in the oils and thus appeared to be key allergens. α-pinene was confirmed as an allergen on repeat patch testing with pure α-pinene in both cases. 12 controls tested were negative for the same. Gas chromatography-mass spectrometry was found to be an extremely useful tool that could be utilized in investigating multiple allergies to essential oils.
• from the Nature's Gift website, a comprehensive guide and listing of essential oil warnings, contraindications and sensitivities - excellent information.

• from Ravensara Oils, a heavily cited, scholarly article regarding the "Alleged allergans in essential oils"

fragrance mix allergy article and listing of allergans from DermNet NZ - be sure to scroll don this long article for a table of common fragrance allergans

• The Environmental Working Group organization periodical has a lot of good information on cosmetics and personal care products (and many other issues) to help one keep up...

grace...are you using cosmetic grade soy wax for your candles? If not, they should not be marketed as 'body safe'. Soy wax for candles is a whole different ball game.

I use cosmetic grade soy wax for my lip balms and body bars, but soy candle wax for candles.