writing off pre-biz expenses

silverm00n

I spoke with my accountant and he told me that I could capitalize my business. That is, take the $ that I've spent on supplies in the past years and if they amounted $10,000 or less then we could deduct them all at one time and if it was more than $10 k, then he would spread the cost out over so many years. HTH Portia

Seems like an easy question, but it isn't. You should only rely on professional advice. It depends on a lot of variables. What type of business you are, the state that you’re operating in, method of expensing. Many variables. Most CPAs that work with small business will give you a free consultation in order to win your business. You may not be able to write them off under your present set up, but may be able to as an S or C corporation. With today’s computers, all of the paperwork associated with incorporating has become relatively easy. Using software like quick books and turbo tax together, or many of the other good software on the market, you can even do your own corporate taxes and just hire your CPA for a once per year review before you file.