How do I get started?

crystalmcvea

I have to ask lots of questions before I completely understand the whole process of starting my own business. I really need some advice to walk me through the process. Okay step one is down...I have my products, have tested them and other people love them. Now I want to sell. What do I do first? I have checked into insurance...so that is covered when Im ready. But do I need a tax id number (I think thats what I have seen yall say)? Where do I get one? Is that all I have to have before I can sell my products? I need to know everything I will need to sell.

Second..or third..lol...I am not computer savey at all. I want to hire someone to build a website for me. Any suggestions? I really need someone, or a company that can walk me through this process. Its all new to me...and I feel stupid for asking all of this...but I have read yalls posts for a year now and I just need specific instructions. I like in Oklahoma if that matters any. I really..really...REALLy appreciate any help that you can give me. I really want to give this "business" a try.

Hi Crystal,

It is common to need a business license from your state, a tax ID # from your state, plus you may need some additional this and that based on what the individual business is doing. Each state varies in what's what. Here is a FAQ for business in Ok.: http://www.okcommerce.gov/index.php?option=content&task=view&id=17&Itemid=41 . I'd imagine someone else from Ok. will pipe and and give you more details.

Other than that, I would STRONGLY suggest you make a good business plan. Not a half a** one. There are tons of web sites that will give you guidlines on writing a business plan or you can get a book at the library or bookstore. A lot of people without a business plan work in their business and NOT on their business. Consider oyur plan an outline and vision for oyur company.

You can start by checking out the SBA - Small Business Association. They have a website and will help answer some of your questions. You can also check them out to find your local affiliate office and make yourself an appointment with a counselor. I did and got advice on getting a business license and registering my business. They also have business courses to help you set up your books, etc.

Honestly, before I would go that far I would try out local craft fairs, farmers markets, etc to see how your product sells first. You will probably need a sales tax certificate so you need to check with your state department of taxation. Some states don't require that you have a license til you sell so many $$$ in sales.

Check out your state laws, and if you don't need a license until you qualify for one don't spend your money on one just yet. Once you do you are required to pay sales tax, send in tax forms, then do the your business tax returns on top of that.

Hope this helps.