Pillars

I am wondering for those of you that sell vegetable wax pillars. Even though you test and test and finally find the size wick you need. How do you guarantee you candle won't blow out after you have sold it to someone. I know you can't. But if it happens to them do you replace it?

Of course I am guilty of buying candles from Pierre One and White Barn and I am one to say they have major tunneling without the proper amount of hangup on their pillars. Do you think they do that to reduce the risk of liablility?

I would gladly underwick by one size to prevent that from happening. But there is alway some competitor out there that sees your candle and criticizes that you don't know how to wick a candle when ideally I was being safe on behalf of the customer and my liability. There really are not any 100% vege wax candles that the big chandlers make that I can compare to, to see how they successfully do it.

I would gladly underwick by one size to prevent that from happening. But there is alway some competitor out there that sees your candle and criticizes that you don't know how to wick a candle when ideally I was being safe on behalf of the customer and my liability.

If they criticize your candle, I say phooey on 'em. ;) Better safe than sorry. :) I had a blowout on a chunk once (made my own for personal use -- this was not one I sold) and I determined from then on that I'd underwick slightly rather than risk that again. I'd much rather someone criticize me for a bit of hangup on a jar or tiny bit of tunneling rather than have them complain the jar got so hot it cracked, or the pillar blew and spilled wax all over their table.

I work hard to get the wicking as close to a clean burn as I can, and try to make sure the pillars don't burn so that they blow -- but you can't account for every little burning condition, so I say do the best you can, and if you're going to err, do so on the side of caution and safety.

Best of luck to you on your candlemaking endeavors! :)

Edited to add:

Of course I am guilty of buying candles from Pierre One and White Barn and I am one to say they have major tunneling without the proper amount of hangup on their pillars. Do you think they do that to reduce the risk of liablility?

IMO, yes, that's why they do it that way.