Is this jar OK to use

I have a number of these jam jars brought I back from France. BTW the jam was superb.

C:%5CDocuments%20and%20Settings%5CDefault_User%5CDesktop%5Cjar.jpgC:%5CDocuments%20and%20Settings%5CDefault_User%5CDesktop%5Cjar.jpg

Can I use them as a container? I'm a bit worried about the curve of the sides. If they are usable how high should I fill them?

If the image doesn't show I will work on it.

Ian

• 2 weeks later...

Just to get an idea of the dimensions, how much wax will it hold and what is the diff in diameter between the widest part of the jar and the narrowest.

Those are cool jars but I bet they would be difficult to wick. For me anyway, I'm still trying to get my own candles wicked correctly!

Just to get an idea of the dimensions, how much wax will it hold and what is the diff in diameter between the widest part of the jar and the narrowest.

Those are cool jars but I bet they would be difficult to wick. For me anyway, I'm still trying to get my own candles wicked correctly!

Here is a pic with the dimensions. I agree that due to it being wider in the middle wicking is an issue, that's the main reason that I posted.

I estimate it will hold just over 1/2 lb of wax.

Ian

post-6599-139458418858_thumb.jpg

To wick a container like that, I first apply a glue dot to the tab, then straighten out the wick. From there, using the wick itself as a guide, I guide it into the jar and to its final resting place. Once the tab is loosely glued down, I use a couple of bamboo sticks to secure it in place.

Those are pretty. I can wick a 3 in. wide mouth with an HTP 105 using soy. It doesn't reach a full melt pool on 1st. burn but will on future burns. Don't know if this helps. I would stop about a half inch from bottom of neck but I'm no expert. LOL

straight paraffin with soy added?

Have you tried pre-blended container waxes? That's what I use. I guess that is a bit off topic, I'm sorry, I'm not sure which wick would work best with your blend. How 'bout starting with a zinc 51 and see where it gets you. You may need to go up or down a size. You could also try double wicking, with two smaller sized zinc wicks.

Also, when I am in a bind I have had good luck contacting my wax suppliers. They are always very responsive when I have a question. HTH!

straight paraffin with soy added?

Have you tried pre-blended container waxes? That's what I use. I guess that is a bit off topic, I'm sorry, I'm not sure which wick would work best with your blend. How 'bout starting with a zinc 51 and see where it gets you. You may need to go up or down a size. You could also try double wicking, with two smaller sized zinc wicks.

Also, when I am in a bind I have had good luck contacting my wax suppliers. They are always very responsive when I have a question. HTH!

I use a blended paraffin wax and container soy+ wax.

Bare in mind I'm in the UK and the affordable options on waxes and wicks is not the same as in the US. I've not come across a parasoy blend here. As to wicks I'm still working through my experimentation stages with the wicks available to me. I've more or less sorted my 100% paraffin pillars but not got there yet with any of the soy mixes, but I will.:grin2:

Ian