Something isn't right!

Can someone please tell me how the chandlers for "Its a Soy" candles get away with using only one wick for their 16oz and 24oz Cascade or Melting pot jars. I use the same jar and have tried every single wick and never had success with a full melt pool for 100% soy wax. I know someone else on this board who uses the same jar that test a lot and has to double wick. There is no way they can use a single wick in that jar without it tunneling.

I was to look up wholesalers for that jar and came across their site for the millionth time. I guess I always overlooked it. Now I say NOWAY! I'm not bashing just wanting to know what their miracle is.

I saw those jars, and if they are single wicking them, I sure would like to know too! I'd almost buy one to see, but I'm about ready to give up on them. I'm trying one last trick: threading two wicks through one tab and then spacing them 3/4 inch apart at the top of jar using my wick centering tool for two wicks.

The big problem has been the wicks drowning at about halfway down due to the odd arflow in the jar. I'm thinking that the " V " shape of the two wicks having the wicks converge as the candle melts down will make it behave more like a single wick.

If I can't get that to work, I'm giving up and buying Metro jars.

geek

If it was me.. I'd be purchasing one of those candles to see how they burn...sometimes when I'm checking out potential shows.. I purchase competitors candles.. LOL...!!

Just cause they make them that way.. doesnt' mean.. they burn right.... :shocked2: and I have found that out before,, in my purchasing from other vendors...

I agree with all of you. Geek, George is right give up on those 24 ouncers. I know as a consumer myself that I don't bother with that size. I get sick of the same scent and want to try something else. The 16oz jars are pretty generous esthetically. But I agree with the air flow. I notice if I put this jar in certain air flows of the house it does not tunnel properly. I have used a wider mouthed jar with the same wick, FO and wax and it burned beautifully. I just love the look of this jar though so I am being to stubborn to give up on it.

Okay here is another site that uses these jars and they won't show a 24ounce lit or openend. Plus they sell those square jars that you buy at Walmart and have it single wicked. For soy that is a tough one. I have seen that particular jar posted all over this board because soy chandlers were having difficulties without having to double wick. www.soylights.com. SoyLights does make a good candle so I am not bashing. I did buy the 9 oz cascade jar up in lake Geneva and it burned well. However that was all this particular store carried. That particular jar looked like it was a CD 22 maybe. I use that same size.

Yes, I admit I do comparitive shopping for candles but I like to make sure I am not doing anything wrong with the wicking. I am my own worse critic.

I've got two cases of the 24 oz MP jars, but I've been only testing the 16 oz. The 24 oz takes too much wax (and time) to test. even if I just fill it to 16 oz. I really like the Metro jars, and I would like to test them, but I'm on the verge of getting too many jars to test and overwhelming myself. I already have 14 FOs tested out in 16 oz keepsake and 8 oz jelly jars, and have tried out one FO in pint Mason. I ultimately want to have a line of Country styled jars (pint Mason and jelly jar) and a line of more upscale, cosmopolitan style jars, like the Metro or the Melting Pot. So many choices.

geek

I feel yah Geek I have three cases myself my husband like them so much he ordered all the sizes in those jars. He tends to be a little impulsive.

I was on the same wavelength. We went to a cajun resturaunt that serves their deserts in ball jars. So I brought them home and made candles in them. It made me think to have a down home jar and a contemporary jar too. Not a Ball jar but maybe something a little more rustic. I kind of swing both ways when it comes to candles. I found a jar from libbly that is sort of like an apothecary jar but the mouth of the jar is the same concept as a metro. It just does not have the metro base. Michael's carries them.

I've got a load of 24 oz, too! Bought them off the classies here along with a bunch of 16 oz. The 16 oz was frustrating enough (and expensive) to test. In the meantime, I got sidetracked with other things and never worked with them. After more reading, I've decided to use the jars as canisters, etc., and forget about them for candles.

I feel yah Geek I have three cases myself my husband like them so much he ordered all the sizes in those jars. He tends to be a little impulsive.

I was on the same wavelength. We went to a cajun resturaunt that serves their deserts in ball jars. So I brought them home and made candles in them. It made me think to have a down home jar and a contemporary jar too. Not a Ball jar but maybe something a little more rustic. I kind of swing both ways when it comes to candles. I found a jar from libbly that is sort of like an apothecary jar but the mouth of the jar is the same concept as a metro. It just does not have the metro base. Michael's carries them.

Is the Michaels jar like a tumbler? This interests me very much, I am having a hard time with shipping costs on the metro's!!!

Erin, they are way too expensive. They charged almost $4.00 for them. I just bought them because they were different and I wanted to bring one home and show my husband. They were easier to wick though. I can say that Libby makes them. I believe it was their design your own line. I was a cannister roundish looking base with a lid the same as a metro or a melting pot jar.

Luci, if you use soy wax. Try Either CD 12 or 14 for the 16 oz. Double wicking of course. But that size works for me in those jars.

I've got a load of 24 oz, too! Bought them off the classies here along with a bunch of 16 oz. The 16 oz was frustrating enough (and expensive) to test. In the meantime, I got sidetracked with other things and never worked with them. After more reading, I've decided to use the jars as canisters, etc., and forget about them for candles.

That's a great idea! Now I know what to do for Christmas presents next year! I could fill them with potpourri. Or even fill them with different color beans, or macaroni, or different pasta shapes, and make them into kitchen decanters/decoration. Also I know now I can't sell them in the Classifieds unless I gave them away! :laugh2:

geek

I was able to successfully single wick the 16 oz with a couple of different wax/scent combos. Later I got a double wicksetter so did decide that double wicking is easier.

geek, I have a couple of those "Gifts In A Jar" books with all sorts of ideas. I recently bought a bean soup mix one at a little craft show at the hospital for $10. It was in a mayo jar with a typed recipe. Use those 24 oz for anything BUT a candle.