Why am I not getting a smell?

When I light my candle I can't smell anything. Is this what you call a hot throw? When the candle isn't lit, it smells great. Is this what you call a cold throw? Do I have to wait until there's a big melt pool? Is my wick too big?

I am using GW444, 1 3/4 oz. FO to a lb. These are container candles. I waited 8 days after I poured this one. Your help will be appreciated.

Janet

You're correct on hot/cold throw.

As for the hot throw, how long has it been lit? Do you have a good melt pool?

What wick and what container?

I don't use your wax so I may not be much help. It may need to cure longer. You may not have a correct combination of wick/jar. You may have candlenose.

You also may be using too much FO per pound. What brand/scent of FO are you using?

Hi Erin Lea,

I am using the 10oz. candlina jar. They also call it a bulb jar. I am using a paper size 60 wick which I have always used with this jar and candle. As for too much fo, I started with 1/2 ounce but couldn't smell anything when lit either, that's why I added 3/4 to 1/2 lb. wax. The fragrance is apple cinnamon with red liquid dye. Alot of dye because it was turning pink with a little.This is the first time I have had this problem. I've only used 3 other fo's. I appreciate your help.

Janet

Janet, I'm confused on the amount of FO you're using. The first post said 1 3/4 oz. per pound of wax---which I read to mean 1.75 oz. Your second post leads me to believe you're using less, but I can't discern exactly how much you're using per pound of wax. I always start with 1 oz. of FO per pound of wax--unless it is a super strength FO like WYW and then I use 1/2 oz. per pound. If I feel I need more strength, I'll increase the amount, but I do believe 1.75 oz. per pound, if that's what you're using, may be too much.

Hi Erin,

I'm sorry to confuse you. I put 1 1/2 ozs. fo per pound of wax. So my jar is holding 3/4 oz. of fo. Are you saying that if i have too much fo in the wax it could cause me not to get a hot throw?

I have some fo's from candlescience that say on their label of the bottle that you could use up to 1 3/4 oz. per pound of wax.

I used 1 1/2 ozs. a pound of apple cinnamon fo with my wax. I thought I read on here that some people use that much.

When I swirl my wax around in the jar while it's burning, I can smell the fo. but when it's just burning I can't smell it. Even if I put my nose to it.

I hope this makes sense. Thanks for your help.

Janet:confused:

Just to chime in here for two seconds...:tiptoe:

Some scents just don't work in certain soy waxes!! And then again sometimes it takes forever to cure them..

It could also be the temperature at which you added the FO..

Just my 2¢ worth!!:grin2:

In some cases 1 1/2 oz. of FO per pound can be too much and may cause you to have a weak scent throw. I don't know that it is the problem in your case though.

As Suzanne brought up, what temp. do you add your FO?

I think I'd let it cure awhile longer, give it a week, and then come back to it. If it still doesn't give you a scent throw I'd tweak some variables.

Maybe someone who uses the exact FO you've used would be able to tell you what amount they use. Does anyone reading this have experience using Candlescience Apple Cinnamon FO?

Thanks Suzanne and Erin,

I pour my fo at 160 degrees.

Let me explain:

The fo is from soycandle.com. So is the soy wax 444. But I did purchase some other fo's from candlescience that say you can add up to 1 3/4 ounce per pound.

I'm going to wait another week and light it up again. Thanks so much for responding.

Janet

Hi Erin,

I'm sorry to confuse you. I put 1 1/2 ozs. fo per pound of wax. So my jar is holding 3/4 oz. of fo. Are you saying that if i have too much fo in the wax it could cause me not to get a hot throw?

I have some fo's from candlescience that say on their label of the bottle that you could use up to 1 3/4 oz. per pound of wax.

I used 1 1/2 ozs. a pound of apple cinnamon fo with my wax. I thought I read on here that some people use that much.

When I swirl my wax around in the jar while it's burning, I can smell the fo. but when it's just burning I can't smell it. Even if I put my nose to it.

I hope this makes sense. Thanks for your help.

Janet:confused:

Hi Janet,

I just poured this same wax today to test. It is new for me. I did ask on the temp board for some tips on pouring this wax and this is what Geek replied:

Heat to 185 degrees

Add FO at 175 degrees

Pour at around 130 degrees into room temp jars.

Cool open air in warm room (75 degrees).

May need to poke & heat gun.

I week cure time.

Geek seems to really know this wax and hopefully he will pick up on this thread.

Good luck!