Menthol/Camphor??

ladysj

I found a lip balm recipe I want to try and it call's for camphor and menthol. I was wondering if this camphor would be camphor spirit that you find in the drugstore's? Also, I'm not sure what the menthol would be or where I would find it. Could this be the menthol crystals and is there possibly a type of liquid I could find in the drugstore or maybe a health food store? Thanks for any help.

I'd recommend researching this further. Menthol and camphor probably shouldn't be used in a normal application type lip balm. They have each been used in certain commercial lip balms as a way to dry out cold sores. They were naturally marketed for that purpose, but many people got used to that tingly experience, and ended up buying and using the mentholated lip balms for regular use, not for cold sore treatment. Because it is intended to dry things out, it would be counterproductive. If you're looking to get a lip balm with a "tingle" to it, try basic peppermint EO.

Thank you for this info. The recipe I found is suppose to be similar to Carmex. I guess I need to see exactly what is in the Carmex. I made some lip balm with tea tree and peppermint I like the tingly feeling but it goes on a little to dry so I'm going to add some mango butter to soften it up.

The recipe I found is suppose to be similar to Carmex. I guess I need to see exactly what is in the Carmex.

Carmex was originally marketed to help with cold sores. I couldn't remember the company name, but I'm nearly positive this was the one. It's been a few weeks since I read the information. I've been researching lip balm flavor oils (just found a manufacturer and plan on ordering sometime in February!), and this came up in one of my readings.

It takes soooo little MC in a lip balm, that I don't think it would do anything counteractive.

I could be totally wrong- but I thought MC in lip products was about the cool or tingly sensation...and the 'perception' of the 'mediciny' smell/effect.... period. I never heard or read of it being added for drying purposes. If you look at most things with Menthols in it, the Menthol is usually listed in the 'Inactive ingredients' part. It's called a 'counter irritant' and an external alalgesic, but not a drying agent. There has to be something else in the caramex that does this job... I would think - but thats JMHO.:grin2:

And that is exactly why I always encourage people to research things like this themselves. :grin2: It's been ages since I've read the ingredients on commercial products because I simply don't use them. With the menthol listed as an inactive ingredient, then it would make sense that it's something else.

So I decided to follow my own advice, and go do a little research of my own. :rolleyes2

And I found this website for Carmex. http://www.carmex.co.za/faq.htm

What is salicylic acid?

Salicylic acid is closely related to the active ingredient in aspirin. Its purpose in Carmex is twofold. It serves in combination with other ingredients as an antiseptic and as a cold sore drying agent.

Why does Carmex tingle when you put it on?

Carmex contains camphor and menthol. These ingredients give Carmex a cooling effect and help relieve itching of rough, chapped lips.

So I stand corrected. :embarasse But it still boggles me, this is usually marketed as a regular lip balm, not a treatment for cold sores. Yet people are getting that "treatment" whether they need it or not. And ya wonder why people find commercial lip balms drying and addictive!

I'd recommend researching this further. Menthol and camphor probably shouldn't be used in a normal application type lip balm. They have each been used in certain commercial lip balms as a way to dry out cold sores. They were naturally marketed for that purpose, but many people got used to that tingly experience, and ended up buying and using the mentholated lip balms for regular use, not for cold sore treatment. Because it is intended to dry things out, it would be counterproductive. If you're looking to get a lip balm with a "tingle" to it, try basic peppermint EO.

I have to agree. Burts Bee's is tingly and they use EO's for that effect instead of camphor or menthol. Although you have to lighten up on the peppermint EO because it does have a drying effect to they use that for acne treatment in botanical and organic skincare.

I have been known to fry my own skin with peppermint castille soap. lol