Seeking to design Worlds greatest (homemade) soap mold!

blazerina

I'm having a woodworking friend of mine begin to design a wooden mold for me. We've discussed features such as cutting slats/guides, wing nut breakaways, and even dividers to insert and instantly divide the bars up.

He has many really neat and original design ideas he'd like to incorporate. I'm hoping that some input from those of you who know your molds pretty well can tell me if there is anything else that a good mold should have, or would have 'in a perfect world'. Lol. Far as soap goes, I do M&P right now and don't sell- but I hope that by the end of the year I will have a need for a larger mold than what I use now. But I can honestly say, I don't know anything about commerical molds. Does the wood type matter? Finish? Dimension? Is heft an issue? Knotty wood? Etc. And though I do MP I figure it might as well be suitable for CP should I ever decide to cross over.

My 'designer' :yay: (lol just wanted to say that!) says even plastic is not a problem if I should want one. I've read that the funky foam is a good liner, but that eventually it needs replaced. Does this mean I do not really want it 'adheared' to the inside? Or would it peel off easilly enough? Thank you so much in advance for all your help and feel free to add in ANYTHING I may have forgotten.

Please forgive all the questions... I'm sure I could squeeze a few out of him to pass along, lol. ;)

Hinged sides so they collapse and you can get your soap out easier, a surface that doesn't require lining and includes a timer so you don't forget when the batch is done. Just being funny on the last one.

Actually I'd love a mold that could work as a slab or in log form, horizontal or vertical. I can imagine it would be umm huge.

Hinged sides so they collapse and you can get your soap out easier, a surface that doesn't require lining and includes a timer so you don't forget when the batch is done. Just being funny on the last one.

Actually I'd love a mold that could work as a slab or in log form, horizontal or vertical. I can imagine it would be umm huge.

Again, The TOG molds are wonderful! Can use as a slab or insert the really nice divider and pour 2 log molds. I absolutely swear by his molds! My only issue with them right now is I need BIGGER! LOL His lids are also awesome on these molds. They have hinged sides...super easy removable ends and the foam liner is really really nice and so easy to use....and so easy to clean up and use over and over again! I honestly can't even begin to stress how NICE these soap molds are!

Yes I know, but she's working on her design. I am working on getting a TOG lol.

LOL....she needs to take a look at these molds and see what a close to perfect mold would be! Altho if you had a digital control on it to turn on some heat for gelling, that would be awesome as someone suggested.