M&P Soaps

ebarnes

Did you leave/keep it in the shower?

I find they last longer if you remove it from the shower after use. The moisture in there keeps it soft and you go to use it and half the bar will melt away as soon as water hits it. Mine usually would last about one week, with sometimes as many as 4 users on the same bar..so at least 4 showers/baths a day.

I have found the "cold process" MP base last a bit longer though.

... I have found the "cold process" MP base last a bit longer though.

Do you mean the low sweat base? Just curious, 'cause I just got some & haven't used it yet

How long do they last? I made a 4.5 oz bar and it lasted a good week. Is this normal? Did I take too many showers?

LOL! I make 2oz bars for myself 'cause I like a lot of variety, and I get a good week out of those. The 4oz or more bars last DH sometimes about 2 wks. But like soapermom said, we keep the soaps out of the shower on those wooden slat soap dishes.

I also use PKO flakes to help harden the bars. I haven't quite perfected it yet, but it's way better now than when I first used it! If you ever experiment with PKO flakes, DON'T use too much, or you'll end up with a bar of soap that wouldn't melt even if you boiled it! Ask me how I know :cheesy2:

HTH

Sharon

What base are you using? I use SFIC white and clear and my bars last a good month or more from multiple uses daily. Are you adding oils to your base?

A good question, that none of us specified!!:smiley2:

I'm using Stephenson's goat's milk base.

OK, how the hell are you guys getting your soap to last a month? Teach me!! Please? What sizes are you making? Perhaps DH & I bathe & shower to much like ebarnes said?:undecided Or could it be that I wrap them as soon as they are cool & hard...maybe let them sit unwrapped a day or 2? Hmm, more experimenting to do.

Oh yeah, I use SFIC (almost everything) and some from Wisteria Lane

Hijack: Do you need a special mold for soap on a rope? I LOVE soap on a rope! No worries about the soap sitting in water or becoming cemented to the edge of the tub!

I'm experimenting with different containers right now, but the nicest one I've made so far is by using a round 2 piece plastic candle mold. That one contains 8 oz of MP and is easy to handle!:)

HTH

I'm wondering if it has anything to do with the things I consider "hardening" that I add. Things such as beeswax, and cocoa butter? I don't know, but if my soap only lasted a week I wouldn't find it worth it in the least to make it!

Hmm, once again you guys are making me think...no harm in experimenting with soap, I've got tons of that! Maybe DH & I need to stick to using 1 bar at a time until it's gone to really see how long they last?...gosh, that's gonna be hard for me :cry2:

I think that it has to be the base. I load some with milks and clays. I don't add in any hardening stuff. I also keep mine in the shower and they still last over a month. My bars are nice-sized and not overly large or small. A week is much too short to last for any base, unless the soap is just sitting in a pool of water or something.

I have to chime in here. I'm by no means an expert being as So far the only melt and pour soaps I have made are for my families own personal use, but my soaps also last about a month. I use wisteria lanes base and add all kinds of oils and butters to it. If my soaps had only lasted a week when I first started making them I probably wouldn't have kept making them.