select shades

MsDammit

Let's see if I can confuse anyone. I've been using select shades for coloring (CP soap) and always use the mixing chart. I usually make 2lb batches of soap so when I decide on what color and the shade of the color I go by 2lbs. Now when I do swirls (attempt to I should say) I always pour some of the soap in a seperate container and then mix the color. Am I doing this wrong and using way to much color as I am not coloring the whole batch? Am I even making any sense? Or am I just looney?:P

You may be looney even though you are making sense.

Frankly when it comes to coloring I don't think there is a "wrong". You may be technically using too much, but if your swirls are coming out the right color and intensity then you are A-OK. If they are too dark then back off.

I can't do the math on teaspoons, etc, so I just add drops in the right ratio until the soap color looks right to me - but that can be iffy (my burgundy swirl came out hot pink) -

LEARNING CURVE BIG TIME.

(and you are looney)

The rate posted in the chart on select shades is for 1 lb of product (not oils).

They show 1/4 tsp, 1/2 tsp, 1 tsp for that shade and 1 lb of finished soap.

I assume that for a 2 lb batch, you reserve 1/4 to 1/3 for coloring, so you would need less than the recommended amount.

The colors are made for blending prior to mixing, meaning that you cannot add them separately to the soap. I mix the required amount in a dixie cup or shot glass before soaping and add a bit at a time until it's the shade I want.

e

The rate posted in the chart on select shades is for 1 lb of product (not oils).

I assume that for a 2 lb batch, you reserve 1/4 to 1/3 for coloring, so you would need less than the recommended amount.

The colors are made for blending prior to mixing, meaning that you cannot add them separately to the soap. I mix the required amount in a dixie cup or shot glass before soaping and add a bit at a time until it's the shade I want.

e

:shocked2: Oh great why do I always seem to do things ass backwards, that's just what I've been doing, adding them separately to the soap. Let's say the chart says 1/4 tsp, then I add 1/2 tsp (for a 2lb batch). Geez I wonder what else I'm not doing right.

I always add them separately, but drip them in on top of each other onto the same spot. Cannot imagine why it would matter though, if I premixed the colors or blended in the pot. I see the supplier STRESSES that you premix, though, so I'll re-think what I do. Never noticed either of your points, E - glad you brought them to my attention. Go figure.

This is from the site, I did not make it up, LOL.....

NOTE: You always want to BLEND the color in a separate container FIRST! Never put the parts into your product and then mix in! IT WON'T WORK CORRECTLY! NOTE: You also always want to blend a little more color than you will need. It is always advisable to make more in case you want to tweak the color of your product.

e

That is basically how I do it - I mix my color first in a separate container but measure the colors out per drop. Then, I add the mixture to my soap that I have taken off to swirl. I hope that made sense.

Well I followed the directions tonight, but it was easy cause I was coloring fully half my batch - so 2#. It's trickier when I'm just doing a cup or so for a swirl.

ETA: Oh shit, I DIDN'T follow the directions - I was going by oil weight. Geesh, that means I shorted my colors by almost 1/3. Well it's a lime color, so lighter will be ok, plus I used some TD so who knows what I'm ending up with anyway!

Well I followed the directions tonight, but it was easy cause I was coloring fully half my batch - so 2#. It's trickier when I'm just doing a cup or so for a swirl.

ETA: Oh shit, I DIDN'T follow the directions - I was going by oil weight. Geesh, that means I shorted my colors by almost 1/3. Well it's a lime color, so lighter will be ok, plus I used some TD so who knows what I'm ending up with anyway!

LOL- see what I mean?!

That is what I found too since that is what I am usually coloring. That's why I just measure by drops since I am not coloring a batch. I've never colored a whole batch either. Maybe its time to try?