CPHP Question,Please assist

msmeredith

Okay, Today is my first day doing the crock pot HP method but I think something is going terribly wrong. First I got it to thick trace and placed top and let it cook. I stirred every now and then when it seemed to boil over or did boil over. Now it looks like mashed potatoes and it still zaps but around the edges where it boiled over looks like clear vaseline. Please help! What am I missing? Should I wait or just trash it?

Yeah...I'd still give it a little longer...the entire thing should look like vaseline soon. It sounds to me like it's not done 'cooking' yet.

Once the zap is gone, it should be fine. I've only done a few crock pot soaps, but this sounds like how it happens.

yea - if you leave the kitchen the soap will get frisky and climb out of the pot. NEVER turn your eyes on soap in the pot (but I bet you figured that out). Good news that chances are the stuff that got all over wasn't zappy any more. And your kitchen will turn out pretty clean (sorry couldn't resist).

Many put their crock pot right in the kitchen sink just in case this happens - makes the cleanup simpler!

yea - if you leave the kitchen the soap will get frisky and climb out of the pot. NEVER turn your eyes on soap in the pot (but I bet you figured that out). Good news that chances are the stuff that got all over wasn't zappy any more. And your kitchen will turn out pretty clean (sorry couldn't resist).

Many put their crock pot right in the kitchen sink just in case this happens - makes the cleanup simpler!

Yea a lessoned learned and written in stone. I bet it was still zappy though:embarasse. I don't know why I wanted to do it and now i am even more confused that I am planning on doing it again tomorrow or tonight.

A lot of it also depends on how your cp handles the heat. Every crockpot is different. My cp is at least 10 years old. I find that once I start getting the "Wave around the island" I check it about every couple of minutes to make sure a tsunami doesn't happen. I've learned I can do a 2# recipe in about 30 min. (from measuring of oils to clean up in the sink) with my cp on high. I reach trace in about 3 minutes. I made a batch of NG lilac last nite and it turned out so beautiful. A perfect winter white color...I was going to color it purple but the customer wants the basket done in red and I thought it would make it look like "Red Hat"!

Word of advice: there are two things I always have 2 of in my house....a blowdryer and a stick blender. I have to always have a back up!!!