Universal Soy Additive

Guys and Girls,

I currently use GB 464 wax. I like this wax, but however, I am still having some frosting issues. I use EVO colors in it and that does help some. When the candle sets up, it is beautiful. But I may come back 2 to 3 days later to find frosting. :angry2: I have seen this USA on a few websites. I thought about buying it, but was wondering if anyone else had any luck with it. Also, I was curious as to the difference between it and regular Univ. Additive. Is it the same thing? Or, are they trying to sell it under a different name? I was trying to be sure they weren't trying to "Blow" smoke up our butts. :P Any input would be appreciated. I did a "search" to be sure there were any previous threads on this subject about the testing of it, but I didn't find anything helpful.

Take care,

Beverly S

Hello,

I bought some universal additive recently and used it twice. I didn't really notice any difference but I really don't know that much about it. I am going to use it again and see if it helps w/ frosting. Sorry not much help.

From the description of GB464, it already has 2% of the USA in the wax. I would be careful adding too much more since using too much vybar in straight paraffin can inhibit scent throw. I've added too much vybar to my paraffin tarts and ended up with wrinkled tops. I would check with my wax supplier about how much more USA could be added.

Maggie

From the description of GB464, it already has 2% of the USA in the wax. I would be careful adding too much more since using too much vybar in straight paraffin can inhibit scent throw. I've added too much vybar to my paraffin tarts and ended up with wrinkled tops. I would check with my wax supplier about how much more USA could be added.

Maggie

You are correct, though I'm not real sure if too much of the USA will inhibit throw. I'll bet that too much USA probably would be a waste of money, reaching a point of diminishing return. You definitely don't want to add more USA to the 464. I had lots of frosting issues with 464, and didn't care for how soft it was, but it did set up nice and smooth and saved time by pouring hot.

geek

I have found that pouring between 150 and 160 was the "sweet spot" with gb 464. Pouring under 150 actually caused more frosting and lumpiness for me. I have come to accept a little frosting around the edge of my tin. If (over time) I get more, I hit it with the heat gun and comes out pretty good. I also use the Evo dyes.

Thanks for all the replies. I will try pouring a little cooler and see if I notice any difference. It is just frustrating to have a candle that looks nice for a couple of days and then all of a sudden, to have patches of frost on it. :cry2: I guess that I need to be like pocha, and just accept that this is the nature of the "beast" (soy). Thanks again.

Beverly S

Pouring and cooling techniques, as well as using the cleanest dryest glassware possible, will prevent frosting better than adding BW. It would be better to simply switch to the new blend 444 than to start adding BW to 464. The 444 doesn't need anything extra, since it is essentially 415 with USA already added to it. BW tends to run about $6 per lb also.

After testing alot of GB waxes, and experimented with adding various amounts of USA and BW, it doesn't work out that well to add two ingredients in the same batch that essentially act as emulsifiers. It is better IMO to use just one or the other. I'm not discouraging anyone from being a Mad Scientist, I'm just passing along my thoughts.

geek :grin2:

Good info Geek - thanks. Also, do you know what the difference is between 444 and 464...is one "newer" than the other? Mike

Both are relatively new, but they are not the same wax. The 444 is a higher MP wax than the 464 by about 5-10 degrees. If you are familiar with the other GB waxes, the 415 would be comparable to the 444, but the 415 is a straight soy, while the 444 is pre-blended with USA. The 402 compares to the 464, but the 402 is straight soy while the 464 has USA pre-blended into it.

HTH! geek