Help- my soap!!

Deb1350

Hi all, I posted a couple of days ago about my soap ricing. Well this is the second batch I have made this week that didn't turn out. The last one I made is the same recipe I have used for a long time with no trouble. Temp was around 110 for oils and lye. I used lilac from brambleberry and used full water. It started to rice and I stick blended it until smooth and poured and today when unmolded it had a few little bumps on top but the sides were smooth. The top had like sparkles on it, like when you look at the snow and the sun is shining it sparkles. I think it is lye crystals because it zapped. Why is this happening? And can if I leave it for a few days will it be ok? Even if the zap goes away I am scared to use it now. This has never happened to me before. I am getting frustrated. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

I personally have difficulty with lilac, gardenia and other heavy florals.

If the zap goes away. But I did a piney FO once that crystalized kinda, and interestingly it seemed to have a "delayed" zap - I licked (yes, tongue to soap - I live dangerously) the crystallized top and at first I felt nothing but a minute later it came through.

That happened to me once using a floral EO and it is just awful. It is just those darn florals. A lot of them have riced and I've had to SB the crap out of it, but only one of mine got crystalized on the outside of the bars of soap. I now add my floral FO's to my oils pre-lye, but it is just going to happen sometimes with them. Oh and I threw out the batch when it crystalized.

Hmmm, I am certainly no expert, but one thing that is going through my mind is that you have made this recipe before, so that is not it. The FO's are new, so it could be an FO issue, but then there is the zap. I may be completely off base, but are you positive that your scale is still accurate? I know that with mine when the battery is getting low, it starts getting off. Even if it's not off by much it can screw up my candle making, and with soap it could be a disaster. Sorry I can't help more, thats just what came to my mind.

I did add my fo pre lye and I have checked my scale.....5 quarters= 1 oz. right? So I don't understand what happened. What causes it to crystalize on top. Is it the lye rising to the top? I stick blended it so I know it was blended good. I tossed the first batch and will probably toss this one. Anyone know what I did wrong? The weird thing is I have made this recipe before and have used the same lilac fo and no problems so I don't understand.

• 3 months later...