Scale Suggestions

brydean

When income tax comes in one of the things I would like to get a is a good scale. Before I invested I wanted to make sure that I enjoyed making the soap and wanted to continue. I do!!:yay:

I want something decent that will last me for awhile. But I can't afford to buy top of the line either. Any suggestions on what kind or where to find them??

Thanks!!!

When I first started soaping I purchased the 13# scale from Brambleberry. This was about 4 years ago. I still have it and it still works.

My advise for scale shopping is:

1) Make sure that it has the 'tare' button. This will allow you to zero out the weight of the container.

2) The buttons on the front of the scale are one piece or covered. If you drip any oil on it and it slides down it will fry your scale.

3) The one from Brambleberry also has a button what allows you to change your conversions (either grams, ounces, lbs, etc.)

HTH.

Jennifer

For B&B, it's a must for me that you can turn off the "auto turn off" feature.

I'd be right in the middle of weighing oil, the phone would ring or I'd go to grab another bottle of oil and the scale would turn off. I have a My Weigh Ultra Ship with this feature.

Get the adapter whatever the scale; they are more accurate on A/C current than batteries and cover the scale with plastic so it does not get ruined. You can cut and tape gallon bags, or use one of the huge zip locks.

e

I've bought two scales from this company: http://www.oldwillknottscales.com/

The prices on his web site are a lot higher than the same scales he sells on the auction site. His store their is: http://stores.ebay.com/www-OLDWILLKNOTT-com

Excellent customer service and great prices.

I got a shipping scale from him many many moons ago, pre candle making, it's a 55lb shipping scale, since I am not selling and still in the testing stage, I got a 550 gram scale from him a few weeks ago. That's about 2 lbs. The reason for getting the "pocket scale" is the accuracy on the 55lb scale is something like +/- 2 oz which is too great when I am measuring less than the accuracy margin for my FO's.

Anyhow, I can recommend them highly and they have all kinds of scales.

I've bought two scales from this company: http://www.oldwillknottscales.com/

I checked out this site. He had some nice kitchen scales that looked decent for around $25. I think it weighed up to 6lb. It seems to have all the above mentioned features. I make small batches, usually between 1-4 lb. I think that would work? Should be accurate enough, shouldn't it???

Thanks!

OK, I'm looking for a new scale also, but I want a gram scale that will weigh to the 1 gram but up to at least 10lbs. I was looking at the my weigh KD-7000. who has this scale. Will Knott says it replaces the KD-600.

Did you see that, I want a gram scale that weighs in pounds...Geez I'm tired, I hope you know what I mean?

OK, I'm looking for a new scale also, but I want a gram scale that will weigh to the 1 gram but up to at least 10lbs. I was looking at the my weigh KD-7000. who has this scale. Will Knott says it replaces the KD-600. Did you see that, I want a gram scale that weighs in pounds...Geez I'm tired, I hope you know what I mean?

:) Carrie, that scale will weigh in grams, lbs, ounces, and kilograms. Max weight is 15lbs, 7 oz.

The stats are listed about half way down the page. That scale looks like it will do what you want it to do...unless you were so sleepy when you posted, I didn't get what you were asking... or maybe I am so sleepy now I didn't get what you are asking :D

:) Carrie, that scale will weigh in grams, lbs, ounces, and kilograms. Max weight is 15lbs, 7 oz.

The stats are listed about half way down the page. That scale looks like it will do what you want it to do...unless you were so sleepy when you posted, I didn't get what you were asking... or maybe I am so sleepy now I didn't get what you are asking :D

I was so tired...LOL

I want to know if anyone has the KD-7000 and if they are happy with it. There have been some scales from Will Knott that were less than desirable.

• 4 years later...

This means you are looking for the scales which can help you in your work and is not too much costly then, don't worry this same circumstances i faced when i start my buisness and at that time i got the scales from digitalscalesaz.com which sort my problem and i am satisfied with that hope you too.

Do yourself a favor and switch over to metric. Get a scale that has a capacity of about 2000g and readability to 1g. Meaning the smallest unit of measure is 1g. You will be able to make soap batches that are about 4 1/2 lbs... or about 16 bars of soap. Switching to metric helps to reduce uncertainty in your measurements. If you are off by 1/2 oz, you are off by 14 grams. But if you are off by 1/2 a gram, you are off by 1/48 oz. The smaller the unit of measure, the greater accuracy.

Look for tare function and an AC adapter. Also, a scale that allows you to turn off the automatic "off." There is nothing worse than being in the middle of weighing liquid oils and the scale turns itself off.

I like this one... http://www.oldwillknottscales.com/my-weigh-3001p-black.aspx