What to do when you have a bad batch?

Just curious to what everybody does with all the "test" candles or the ones that turned out not so good. I'm very new at this and am using soy only. I've only done container candles as well. Do you clean out the jars and reuse them for future candles? How much loss do you endure? I'm a stay at home mom (well I work 10 hours/2 days a week at a salon) and we're trying to be careful to not go broke trying to make money:rolleyes2 ! ANY advice is really appreciated:) . Thanks. Heather Moon

I would say in the begining you have alot of loss. I only reuse my jars for my own testing, never to sell. I've found out that the first year or two is alot of testing. Than when you think you have it you still have to test. Good luck:)

I always reuse my jars for testing. I never sell the used jars, but I never throw them away either. I think I currently have about a case of jars that I use for testing. I just cycle my testing so that I always have clean jars to work with. I know it's hard, but you have to get used to "wasting" money/time in this business. It's really not wasteful because you are going to have confidence in your product, but your checkbook will argue otherwise sometimes.

Thanks so much to the both of you! I figured it would take some time, this board is really helpful. I don't know anyone else personally who does this so this message board is a life saver! Another question that's in relation to my previous one....I currently just melt 1lb of soy wax at a time. If you are to test each batch what are you suppose to do with the ones that you poured out of that batch if they're bad?? Does that make sense??:confused:

I only pour what I need. So if I am making one square mason jar, I pour __ amount of wax (can't remember the exact number off the top of my head). To figure this out, pour water into your jar (while it's on the scale) and then take the weight of the water and multiply by .86. That will tell you how much wax your jar will hold. So, you only need to pour that amount of wax per jar. Then I figure out how much FO corresponds to that amount of wax. I use a spreadsheet to do this, which DH made for me (I'm not too good with math). If you want a copy, just send me an e-mail and I will get it to you tomorrow. Anyway, so I measure out the exact amount of FO and wax for one jar (or two if I am testing multiple wicks), and then only pour what I need. It keeps me from wasting wax/FO. Once you know what you jar will hold, you don't need to do the math every time, unless you change the FO %. HTH

to reduce some wasting of wax.....

when trying to find the correct wick size, it helps to pour a wickless container. Then with a skewer or something around that size, poke it through the wax in the container to make a hole. Place a wick inside the hole & cut to the correct height. After burning, when you know it's not the correct wick to use, just take the wick out (it helps to do it while the candle is still partially liquid). Then just insert a new wick & test again.

(copied this from another post...7angela7) this stuck in my head 'cause that's how I have started testing a new line of wicks..thanks...wish i had thought of it myself

edited to add: I usually use my scrap wax for firestarters

The test candles and the ones that turned out not so good keep my home smelling very nice, LOL. Unfortunately there is going to be a lot of wastage at the beginning. You can keep the losses to a minimum by making small amounts. For example, make one jar instead of a whole pound of wax. Investing in a good scale is important, so that you can weigh small quantities of FO.