Why does the wax sink in???

It sinks down because as the wax cools it decreases in size. The liquid form will always take up more space than the solid. You'll need to do what is called a repour, where once the first pour has set up - pour more wax on top to level it out. Depending on the type of wax you use will affect how much it'll shrink or sink down.

also after you pour the 1st time, and it has set a bit and the shrink starts, poke air relief holes around the wick, use a skewer or something like that, air relief holes helps with the repour..check out the techiques pages on this board, you will see what we mean. i am a newbie too, and is now addicted. this is a great board, great ppl, they will help you alot, you will love it here..:yay:

I found my last votives riddled with air holes. Should I be doing this with votives too? Does it happen more if you pour hot? I tried pouring colder but since the wax is thicker then I was getting bubbles...

Geez, this IS an art, isn't it?!?

I found my last votives riddled with air holes. Should I be doing this with votives too? Does it happen more if you pour hot? I tried pouring colder but since the wax is thicker then I was getting bubbles...

Geez, this IS an art, isn't it?!?

If you pour too hot, it will shrink like no tomorrow too. If your votives are riddled with air holes, I'd wonder what you're doing in terms of how hot you're pouring? Are you wicking your own or using wick pins? Could the molds be setting up too fast to freeze air bubbles in place? Any number of things, but if you're using wick pins, sometimes hitting the bottom of the votive cups (once filled) with a heat gun will allow them to burp themselves (best description I can come up with).

If you pour too cool and sloppily, I think you can expect some air to be in there.

Scented, don't recall which temp I was pouring at, either 165 or 140 (it's Ecosoya VB). I was using wick pins and sometimes I have seen bubbles popping up - in fact I tried just using tabbed wicks (goodness no, I don't tab my own, I've got enough to figure out!) instead of the pins but haven't burned those yet. I had set the votive cups in a small wooden box (actually a log mold LOL) and put the lid on after I poured, so I don't think they cooled too fast.

So many variables! Soap is easier!