Break-a-way molds? (wing nuts)

blazerina

Hello all...

I'm looking in to having a loaf style wooden mold made for me and i'm wondering what the purpose of the 'breakaway' design is. I think this is what they call the ones with the wing nuts. Can anyone tell me what is the exact advantage and if it is really necessary? Thanks so much!! -Blaze

I think you just take it apart to unmold te soap. That way you don't have to wrestle it out of the mold if something goes wrong. Also, it is easier to clean if you get soap on it. Just take it apart and scrape away.

Doris

I have a log mold that is a B**ch to get the soap out. I line my mold but when I pour at thin trace some soap leaks out the corners. Then, when it's time to unmold, the soap is stuck in the mold.

Then next mold I bought had two hinged sides, it makes it much easier to get the stuck soap out.

I do hot process, so I don't have as much of a leakage problem, but I still had trouble getting the block of soap to come out of my 3" high log mold. Of course, when I would try to pull it up by the paper liner, it would tear.:undecided I solved this by making a thin fabric "sling" to use as a helper to get the soap out. I just used an old pillow case and cut a strip about 8" wide. I put it across the bottom and sides (long sides) of my mold and tape it in place on the outside, making sure it is perfectly smooth with no wrinkles, then line the mold with paper as usual. When I get ready to unmold, I take the tape loose and pull the soap block out with the fabric. By using thin fabric, it doesn't leave any indentions in my finished soap. It is so much easier now!:grin2:

I love my wooden break away molds. I just have to take the ends off the sides and my fresh log of soap is sitting there for me to cut. I have another wooden mold where the sides and end pieces are in one piece and it just lifts off the bottom .. it's has 4 wooden pegs that fit into holes to hold it together but it makes a 4 inch bar and I prefer a 3 1/2 inch bar.

Yep, thats the benefit to it. I only take it apart to release the soap, or to slide the end in a little for a smaller batch.

OK, I just had a duhh moment!!!:P

I hate it when my soap doesn't quite fill my mold and makes an odd size. I never thought to just move the side piece in a little bit!! I'm a bright one aren't I?!:laugh2:

Thanks for the tip!:yay:

My husband made this one for me, and I didn't know about the wing-nut thing when I placed the order.:grin2: So I had to come up with some way to get the soap out easier, and the fabric trick really works well. The next mold is going to have a removeable end, or a drop-down side for sure, though.

Thanks so much for the info everyone. So I guess if you are having it made, it's not much more to ask to have the wingnut design huh?

One more thing, are they only on one end? Does that matter? Also I'm having a hard time picturing how you would have one that you can move the end down for smaller batches. I think I missed something. Is this a feature of the regular wing nut design? Sorry so many q's- I just want to be able to convey what i'm after to my woodworker, lol.

Thanks again everyone!

My molds are homemade, with hinged sides. The ends fit inside the sides, rather than being mounted to the ends. That's how they can be adjusted. Adjustability is nice for times when I want to make a 1# test batch, but want the finished soap to be the same size as my other bars. The other time it's very handy is if I'm adding sheds or chunks of one soap to a new batch. Thet way I can adjust the length of the log to compensate for the maount of shreds added.

I also think they''re easier to line. My ends ahve been coated with silicone tub caulk, so they don't need lining. I just take a length of freezer paper, make 2 folds, drop it in, put the ends in, tighten and I'm done. I hate 'giftwrapping' the inside of molds.

Diane W