Those of you with Web Sites

Reese

Do you make customers register on your web site?  

34 members have voted

1. 1. Do you make customers register on your web site?

• Must register prior to checkout
    • Option to register prior to checkout
    • Do not make them register for any orders
    • Just don't care you want the order

When someone places an order on your web site do you have them register with you in order for them to place an order? What do you think is best having the customer register or have the option to register or not register at all.

Do you also think you would lose order if you require them to register?

I do not have people register with me to place and order, and personally I don't really like the places that do have me register to place an order. To me that just means I am gonna end up getting junk e-mail..lol If you have that option I think giving them the chance to make that decision themselves would be the best way to go, they they at least have the option to register or not. I do have an option on mine when they are ready to check out and fill in their info they can click a check box to have our site "remember" them for future purchases so they wont have to re enter their mailing address and all that, but its optional.

My shopping cart requires registration to purchase. I've ordered so much over the net it does not bother me.. as long as is standard info. I prefer cc numbers not be stored. Unless I plan on being a repeat buyer I do not like to give an email.., have a junk hotmail account for those that require addy and

I don't want the mail. My cart does give on the option of being on a mailing list or opting out. I do have a place on the site that explains how the info we ask for is used. Most of my web sales are from customers I have sold to at shows and they are comfortable with me so do not mind giving registering. If they don't want to give the info they just pick up the phone or send me an email to contact them.

I agree with GrumpyGirl. I am not a fan of registering with a site just to order products. A lot of times, I just want to order my prouct and be done. Several sites ahve lost me as a customers, as soon as they want me to register. I think if you want people to register, make it optional.

Do you also think you would lose order if you require them to register?
I've cancelled out of orders before, when I found I have to register first. So I guess the answer is yes, it's possible to lose an order if registration is required. But I also understand that certain shopping carts (e.g. zen cart) are set up so that the customer must register and log in first, there's no choice about it.

Yeah, I'm currently using Zen Cart but I'm exploring a few options because I really don't like that customers have to register to order. I find it annoying and I really don't need any of their information stored on my site (using paypal for payments).

The only nice thing is if they choose to signup for the Newsletter at registration then you can e-mail them specials / sales / updates. But I suppose you could have an e-mail address set up where they can "sign up" for that by sending an e-mail to that address.

Instead of making me people register, I have 2 ways you can opt-in for the newsletter. When checking out, you can check/uncheck if you want to be included in our newsletter. Or on the main page, there is a link that says "Join Newsletter". I have had several customers join my newsletter without buying products. Then, when they found out about the sales, they purchased from me.

I like to keep it simple. When checking out, it is a box that you check or uncheck. For non-customers, there is a link that takes you to a pages that asks for their name and email addy. That's it! HTH. ;)

I'm absolutely turned off by having to register just to purchase something. I've seen the Zen cart and have considered using it just for the ease of setting up the storefront...but I won't use it simply because it has the "register/login" feature. What's the purpose of that, anyway?! There's no doubt in my mind that having to register would cause a potential customer to go elsewhere.

When I go to a website, I go there to get the job done...to educate myself or to purchase something. I don't like all the you-have-to-do(or watch)-this-first garbage (flash animation intro pages, registering / membership)....because, frankly, no I don't.

:D