Overwhelmed

shine

Hi experinced chadlers. I really could use your expertise. I started pouring/testing candles this past October with the thought of making candles as a hobby and if I could produce a quality product possibly selling candles. I started with a starter kit from Just By Nature and Jars from The Jar Store.

Since then I have found a local supplier for my wax (thanks from info on this forum), ordered almost every different type of wick (almost went crazy trying to find a wick that would work in my unscented wax),spent oodles on FO's, upgraded from my Presto to a turkey fryer, enlisted 3 friends as candle testers and have registered my business name.

I'm addicted now and would really like to be able to sell my candles so I can buy and make more. When the addiction took hold, I had the dream of being able to do a show this spring but now I don't even know if I'll be ready to do a show by fall 2007.

I'm still working on a safe quality product. That's a task in it's self but that's the fun part:yay: . The part that is overwhelming is the business side :cry2: (Insurance, taxes, legal issues, juried show requirements, etc.).

I could use some encouragement:highfive: , bits of wisdom and advise. I really, really want to be ready to do a show this fall.

Shine

Well it really sounds like you are doing everything right! I would say just keep at it. There are so many choices out there and it costs so much money to test product and find what work works for you. I think you will be ready by Fall...hang in there!

First, I am NOT an accomplished anything - but I've given up on a lot of things and know how THAT feels. Hang in there - the devil is in the details but you are doing it the right way.

I would recommend (never having done this myself) that you write out a list including what you HAVE done and what you still need to accomplish. This could give you some perspective.

Doing what you love is a fabulous opportunity, but even so, it will be a

labor of love...

You are on the right track, just don't get side-tracked (like buying every FO that you love, buying new jars/molds/waxes). I would recommend concentrating on perfecting your product (to your standards). Obtain insurance and understand the tax responsibilities you have, then look into doing shows. You don't have to do a juried show right off the bat, try a smaller, church or school type show to get an idea of what it's like to set up, sell, break down and do the paperwork at the end. It is overwhelming at times and when you feel overwhelmed step away from it for a day or two, then you will get the "fever" again to work some more. This like any business/hobby, you can get burned out quick.

Good luck and let us know how you are doing. :yay:

You are on the right track, just don't get side-tracked (like buying every FO that you love, buying new jars/molds/waxes). I would recommend concentrating on perfecting your product (to your standards). Obtain insurance and understand the tax responsibilities you have, then look into doing shows. You don't have to do a juried show right off the bat, try a smaller, church or school type show to get an idea of what it's like to set up, sell, break down and do the paperwork at the end. It is overwhelming at times and when you feel overwhelmed step away from it for a day or two, then you will get the "fever" again to work some more. This like any business/hobby, you can get burned out quick.

Good luck and let us know how you are doing. :yay:

I completely agree about doing a small show to start with - you'll feel more comfortable and the cost won't be as much. You sound just like me about the legal/business aspect of it all - I was just saying to DH that I need a secretary to do all of the #%$^ work so I can spend more time on actually making candles and B&B stuff. Hang in there - it will all fall into place once you get your groove going!

Slow and steady, one thing at a time. Don't overwhelm yourself. You can get the info you need about taxes etc.... in your state probably from a state website. Print it out and read through it when you have time. Keep testing, keep that your focus. When you are ready to sell then you will need insurance, but start poking around now and see who offers it and how much it is. It really was a year until I had all my ducks in a row. When you get overwhelmed it is time for a day off. A walk, something fun to get you mind off everything. We have all had our days, and I still get overwhelmed. Sounds like you want to do it the right way and that is to be commended. Feel free to vent anytime. Also if you have a Small Business Admin in your state you may want to call them and see if you can get some free help. A lot of times they have retired business people that will volunteer there time to sit down and talk with you. Good Luck Love to see some pics of your candles in the gallery.

Thanks for the encouragement and advice. It's great to have this forum. I'm pretty computer illiterate (I don't understand binary:confused: ). As soon as I can figure out how to post a pic, I will. I'd love opinions. Right now I'm not adding dye to my candles but eventually I'd like to have a colored line and natural color line.

I am taking a day off (to take down Christmas decorations). Thanks again.

Shine

Hey, Shine...what everybody else said. :grin2: Slow and steady, keep your focus. I highly recommend the DOME Simplified Weekly Bookkeeping Record. You can pick it up at an office supply store. Even if you aren't a business yet, it will help you track expenses and when you are legit, it will simplify your record keeping till you're big enough to need an accountant!

Definately look for a small church or school show. Make sure you pay attention to your times...load the car, unload the car, set up, tear down. If you have an idea of how long all that takes you, you can plan better to enjoy the show. Little things mean a lot.

If you are happy with your product and you have tested it to death then you should try a small show or maybe put together a little house party together and show off your product. Also see if you have any local farmers market, they are usually not alot of money to do, at least in my area.

Good luck!!!!!!