Ordering Supplies - Need Your Help

funnygirl

I am fixing to order a couple of things so I can begin the learning process for CP soap. I found an inexpensive slab mold at Brambleberry, but Im not sure if this is suitable for CP. I really didnt want to buy an expensive Birch mold right now, but wanted to make some decent looking bars. The one I am looking at it the 8 bar triangle, that makes 4 oz. bars. It's located toward the bottom of the page at http://www.brambleberry.com/slabs.html

Any help will be much apprieciated. :grin2:

ETA: Do I need special B&B dyes for CP, or can I use the liquid dyes I use for my candles?

You can buy these Martha molds at Target for pretty cheap. Or use an old drawer. Some even have used an old lined shoe box. That mold at Brambleberry would work too but it is hard to get each bar cut the same. I have a mold very similar and don't care for it all. Plus they are made of plastic and and might not last that long.

I am fixing to order a couple of things so I can begin the learning process for CP soap. I found an inexpensive slab mold at Brambleberry, but Im not sure if this is suitable for CP. I really didnt want to buy an expensive Birch mold right now, but wanted to make some decent looking bars. The one I am looking at it the 8 bar triangle, that makes 4 oz. bars. It's located toward the bottom of the page at http://www.brambleberry.com/slabs.html

ETA: Do I need special B&B dyes for CP, or can I use the liquid dyes I use for my candles?

Those tray molds make a wierd size soap. IMO

Try a shoe box or a flat rate box and see if you like making soap. I went to Michaels and bought a couple of unfinished jewelry boxes and used those for my first batch.

You can only use dyes that are safe for use in soap and good for the type of soap you are making. i.e., some dyes only work in mp and won't work in cp or hp. You can also use some of your spices for natural dyes like cocoa and paprika.

BTW - I have a tray mold that if you would like, you can have. Just let me know and its yours.

That would be great Meridith! I will gladly take it off your hands for ya, LOL! I just gotta get out tomorrow and start browsing for ingrediants. Im just gonna start with what I can get at the grocery store instead of buying lots of oils online.....olive oil, castor oil, crisco, etc. Gotta get a pitcher for lye water. Will those rubber maid plastic pitchers that we all buy for tea/Kool aid work? They are very heavy duty and come with the good sealable lids. Also, do you always line your molds with freezer paper, or is this just for wood molds? On Bramble Berry it looks like they are lining their mold with siran wrap? Is that acceptable? Sorry for all the questions, there are just these little details that Im not sure about that keep creeping in my mind, LOL! Oh yeah, when I mix up my soap, should I use a glass bowl? Also, what are those little mixer things called? They are little hand held things. For small batches of CP do I really need one to start out, or are those one of those "cant live without it" type tools? :grin2:

That would be great Meridith! I will gladly take it off your hands for ya, LOL! I just gotta get out tomorrow and start browsing for ingrediants. Im just gonna start with what I can get at the grocery store instead of buying lots of oils online.....olive oil, castor oil, crisco, etc. Gotta get a pitcher for lye water. Will those rubber maid plastic pitchers that we all buy for tea/Kool aid work? They are very heavy duty and come with the good sealable lids. Also, do you always line your molds with freezer paper, or is this just for wood molds? On Bramble Berry it looks like they are lining their mold with siran wrap? Is that acceptable? Sorry for all the questions, there are just these little details that Im not sure about that keep creeping in my mind, LOL! Oh yeah, when I mix up my soap, should I use a glass bowl? Also, what are those little mixer things called? They are little hand held things. For small batches of CP do I really need one to start out, or are those one of those "cant live without it" type tools? :grin2:

Welcome to the world of soap making!!! As far as equipment, I use one of the Rubbermaid pitchers (the small one) for mixing my lye water. Freezer paper is great for lining any mold. I use a glass measuring cup (a big one) for mixing up to a 3 pound batch in, for any bigger batches, I use a plastic bucket. A stick blender is great for getting your lye and oils mixing, but sometimes they do make trace come faster. Lots of Paper towels! Plastic gloves.

Those are the basics.

Good luck!

Steph

Pm me your address and I will send it to you along with anything extra I have that may help you.

You can line a mold with butcher paper, saran wrap, hefty bags or mylar. I use butcher paper in my log molds but don't need a liner in my Kelsie. I use a heavy duty plastic pitcher for my lye. Make sure to have your soap stuff labled properly so its not used for other than soaping. You can use a glass bowl or a stainless steele bowl. I use both but my glass bowls have gotten chipped around the edges so I am trying to convert to all stainless steele. Try to avoid using wood spoons - the lye eats them up and they can splinter. I use heavy duty plastic or stainless steele spoons. Invest in a stick blender too - its worth the money. It's best also to try to stick with batches that are at least 2-3 lbs so that you have some lee-way with any mistakes on measuring.

FYI - Martha molds are sold at Kmart's. They come in a one section (similar to the picture posted, excepting they are semi-clear) and a 3 section. They are Martha Stewart drawer organizers.

When you are starting out, I'd make your initial investments small. Don't spend a lot of money on a specific type of mold right now, because you may get it and find out you absolutely hate it, but you're stuck with it because of the financial investment.

Lots of different things can be molds. Go to the thrift stores and look there, you might be able to find appropriate bowls, different things to use as molds and maybe even a stick blender. And yes, I do suggest getting a stick blender. Saves lots of time.

GM is in different places in different grocery stores. In some it is in the health food section, in others its by the evaporated milk. In some you can get canned, in others you can get powdered.

For gloves, whatever rubber glove fits - the ones used for cleaning are fine.

Do you have a good scale?

I read your posts and was wondering if you were going to make GM CP right off the bat? If so, I would advise that you wait until you have a couple of batches under your belt. GM in lieu of water can be tricky (there are extra steps and tricks to keep it from burning). Just my two cents! :P

Have fun! You will have to post some pics of your first batch.

Jennifer

Yep, got a great digital scale that I use for candle making. I was gonna try GM CP first. I already know that is what I want to make/use, so I figured it would be what I would learn. Bad idea? I read about some of the problems others have had, and intended on freezing it to help avoid some of those things. So you all think I should start with water only at first?

That was only my opinion... Don't let me stop you. ;)

My experience was GM CP can be tricky. The milk/lye doesn't act the same way that water/lye does. You often get clumping that will splash if you are not careful when you pour into your oils. If it does burn then it really does stink and you really need to stick blend it well so you remove any clumps.

It sounds like you have read about it if you know about the freezing... IMO though, I would not add any other steps for my first batch.

I just don't want you to have a problem with your first batch and get discouraged.

Jennifer

FYI - Martha molds are sold at Kmart's. They come in a one section (similar to the picture posted, excepting they are semi-clear) and a 3 section. They are Martha Stewart drawer organizers.

Sorry I did mean to say Kmart. I don't shop there but do like Target. I must have had that French store on my mind. :grin2:

Thanks Jen! I was just of a mind set that I wouldnt notice differences between water and milk if I never used water, and that it wouldnt trip me up when I tried something new, LOL! I will probably try both, I just had my heart set on more GM soap, as I only have 3 bars left and know I will be out about the time and I would have some cured soap, LOL!

Thanks Jen! I was just of a mind set that I wouldnt notice differences between water and milk if I never used water, and that it wouldnt trip me up when I tried something new, LOL! I will probably try both, I just had my heart set on more GM soap, as I only have 3 bars left and know I will be out about the time and I would have some cured soap, LOL!

An easy recipe to start off with would be a castile soap. I do 90% OO and 5% castor. It won't trace too fast so if you want to play with some colors, you should have time. You could also use GM as your liquid and get a really conditioning bar.