louffas (sp) in MP - how to do...

CareBear

OK, I have several feet of luffa "sponges" and want to use them in the MP swap. I picture disks of them in my soap but am not sure how to accomplish this - if I leave it whole and stuff it into the PVC then when I cut it I'll have it exposed on the cut surface - is that ok? or do I need to do something fancy.

Rigth now I don't have clear MP, but I think I have some on its way - can I use the GM stuff?

Too confusing!!! I'm going back to CP!!! LOL

Correct me if I am wrong anyone, but I think it is better to put it in the PVC pipe first, then pour the mix in and around it, making sure it gets into every inch. You will probably need a serrated knife to cut it.

PS, you can do it with CP too:) I have tons of loofah too, but all of them are wider than my 3" PVC pipe:(

I make them a couple of times a year.... I do what was stated above.

1) Place the loofah (whole) into your PVC pipe.

2) Make your soap (I always use CP) and then pour it into your PVC pipe covering your loofah.

3) Wait 24 hours, remove the soap and cut into bars.

I sometimes have to freeze the pipe because it will not always slip right out.

HTH.

Jennifer

Care Bear.. where do you get your loofah? I am making these for the M&P Swap.. I plan on using GM for the bottom and clear for the top. I was planning on using my multi-cavity round mold, cut the loofah and put it in each mold (I was told to wet the loofah first, wring it out then pour the soap) I thought they would be nice for a hand soap. I would love to get some loofah on the smaller diameter size, but have no idea where to purchase it from.. I would appreciate any help...

I got some at the grocery store a while back. I've moved since then but will be in the area next weekend and I'll take a look for ya. They aren't exactly cheap, but $2.50 for a loofa that has about 2' of usable length.

Firegirl, if you are already planning to do this maybe I can just send you mine, I selected this to get rid of the darned things!

I do mine in a pringles can. Just wash the can out well first. I also wet the loofa to shape it, it was a little squashed, stuffed it in the can and let it dry overnight. Then I mixed up my MP added peppermint eo and tea tree poured it over the soap and banged it on the counter a few times to make sure it got in all the grooves. Later that night I just peeled the can away and used a horrible for anything else ginzu knife to slice the roll, holding it on the cutting board with my hand in an oven mitt for extra protection.

It's great for the footsies.

Sami

Well, I aspire to be the scruby queen, or princess in waiting at the very least, lol.... so I tired these in melt and pour. Actually- I tried to grind/grate my own into some Oatmeal base. I'll never do that again, *faint* lol. Let's just say- it didn't work. Unless of course you have 12hrs to come up with a cup of self ground Loofah. :undecided So I then decided to chunk it and add it to my pot. I also did some slices and just popped them into the lg oval bar molds. You just have to kind of keep poking them down in to keep them covered, but since it is a scrubby kind of soap anyway it's not like you need to worry about a nice smooth surface on the back. I did not wet them down first. It seems like they would be painful to use, but once they get wet a few times I find they are rather surprisingly not. And the chunk peices don't seem to 'fall out' of the soap at any point. They kind of conglomerate and you just toss the last bit. It's one of my favorite soaps to use- this is the one that also has coffee and the not-ground-up-enough-clove-chunks that I posted in the gallery last. I still plan on remelting and straining those big peices out but I just keep grabbing another bar... and another... and another...:D

Jldorrington- I think those rounds would be nice- but you are probably asking if anyone knows how big they are and if they will fit into any kind of mold? I don't know but they look kinda big in the pic. I didn't see any dimensions. I got my loofa at Bi-mart... which is just a local department store. I had to dig for the 'most' round one I could find, lol. It was the big end that I chunked and I sliced the nice end.