Ok, I admit........

that I am not completely ready to sell. I am ready to make my candle and I am ready to sell except for one thing........the labels. I have my warning labels about keeping the wick trimmed and all of that and i have my label with my company name Southern Scents and a phone number we can be reached at along with the scent name. I was just reading a new site that I found on here taht was talking about the things that must be on your product for them to be legally sold. They gave me a government site but it was kind of jumbled up with lots of junk and adds for websites. Could someone tell me exactlywhat HAS to be on my candle for it to be sold. Thanks

Burn time of your candle does not need to be on the label. Burn time varies greatly with HOW you burn a candle.

http://www.fda.gov/opacom/laws/fplact.htm

If you are going to sell, you need to be able to decipher the laws. Identify the product, manufacturer and net quantity.

Sorry, but IMO make your products the best they can be and don't worry about competitors.

candleran - do you actually make candles or just post links for people?

YIKES - I just read that you are getting ready to place your first order for candle supplies....you have a long way to go before you worry about labels or your competition. Check the helpful info for newbies at the top of this forum, please.

Warning labels do not prevent you from being sued. Nothing does. You can have insurance, but will still get sued. What the bottom line would be is how you prevail if you were sued, and if you labeled your product correctly and did not make a faulty product then things would be more smooth on the legal end. So, check out candle suppliers you will see their standard warning labels.

that I am not completely ready to sell. I am ready to make my candle and I am ready to sell except for one thing........the labels. I have my warning labels about keeping the wick trimmed and all of that and i have my label with my company name Southern Scents and a phone number we can be reached at along with the scent name. I was just reading a new site that I found on here taht was talking about the things that must be on your product for them to be legally sold. They gave me a government site but it was kind of jumbled up with lots of junk and adds for websites. Could someone tell me exactlywhat HAS to be on my candle for it to be sold. Thanks

LOL!! I've read enough from you to know that you best check yourself and put it in a lower gear. Nothing you have written on this board suggests to me that you are even close to making a candle that you could sell. BUT, if you insist, this is what you should put on YOUR labels.

CAUTION: This is an untested product that I know nothing about. Buy it at your own risk, and burn it at your own risk.

That should cover you. Make sure it's VERY large and on the front of your candle.

P.S. You still need insurance.. LOTS of it too I'd say.

LOL!! I've read enough from you to know that you best check yourself and put it in a lower gear. Nothing you have written on this board suggests to me that you are even close to making a candle that you could sell. BUT, if you insist, this is what you should put on YOUR labels.

CAUTION: This is an untested product that I know nothing about. Buy it at your own risk, and burn it at your own risk.

That should cover you. Make sure it's VERY large and on the front of your candle.

P.S. You still need insurance.. LOTS of it too I'd say.

I have to agree with this. If you want to sell candles, you need to have you ducks in a row. You need to know the leagalities in and out. You need insurance which will cost you 300 to 1200 dollars a year depending where you live. You need to know what info to provide on your labels. You need a liscense and a co. name that no one else owns. You need to figure out how you are going to market and pay for your supplies. Please send me one of your candles and I will test it for you. Pm me and I will send me my address. I think Prairieannie has good advice for you, and we may laugh or giggle at what one of the other members say but the advice is sound. No one is making fun of you, we are dead serious. This project takes a least a year to a year and a half to perfect a line of candles. If you make container candles, I'd like to see some of your burn tests in the gallery.