Adding salt

lovebug7480

I came across an article saying that you can add 1/2 tsp of salt to your water before adding the lye and this apparently makes for a harder bar. It says that it doesn't make an overall harder bar but it will harden the bar up more quickly and be more hard right after unmolding rather than if you didnt' have the salt in there. Anyone heard of this or try it out?

I have seen many speak of adding in sugar to increase lather. Can you do both salt and sugar in the same recipe? Or would one counteract the other? Thanks for any advice you can give.

:)

I also add 1/2 TBS salt and 1 TBS sugar per lb. to every batch of my GM soap. I do dissolve it in about an oz. of water before I add it to my lye solution. Since I don't use coconut oil, it does help with the hardness and lather of the finished bar.

I also add 1/2 TBS salt and 1 TBS sugar per lb. to every batch of my GM soap. I do dissolve it in about an oz. of water before I add it to my lye solution. Since I don't use coconut oil, it does help with the hardness and lather of the finished bar.

If you don't use coconut oil, do you use lard to get a good lather? If not, besides the salt and sugar, what do you use for lather? I'm still kinda new at this so I am still learning. TIA :)

The oils that create more bubbles are coconut, palm kernal oil and babassu. Usually, you will see one or more of these (with coconut and PKO being more popular) being used in recipes. With that said, you can make soap without any of them and still have bubbles, but different than if you used one of those oils.

Here are links to oils and their properties. Each one essentially gives you the same information, but in different ways (we all learn/absorb info differently).

http://www.millersoap.com/oilproperties.htm

http://www.naturesapprentice.com/oilchart.htm

There are other additives you can add that will effect your lather aside from the oils and the sugar. Coconut milk, clays, etc. Many additives to experiement with.

I do the same as well. In my test batches I have noticed a difference.