M&P coloring problem..help!

crystalmcvea

I have made some melt and pour shea butter base soaps. I used brown oxide powder to color it a chocolate color. THe problem that I am having is that the soaps are sweating and a crystalizing red coloring is showing on the outside. Can someone please tell me, or lead me to some information on what coloring I can use in a melt and pour soap base? I know that some of you have made wonderful looking mp soaps and I would greatly appreciate any help.

I've used the Sparkle Brown bars before and they are wonderful!! I don't make alot of MP so I bought a few of these to keep around. The price was right, and I live close enough that I don't have to pay their crazy shipping.

p.s. I just read in their newsletter that they may be increasing their prices (on shipping) by 4.9%!! :shocked2: It seems UPS has upped their prices so WSP may follow suit. http://www.wholesalesuppliesplus.com/StoreCategory.aspx?CategoryID=768&CategoryName=Mica+-+Bars

Were you trying to get a chocolate colored soap or chocolate scented soap?

I've used cocoa powder & unrefined cocoa butter to make "chocolate soap"...it smelled like chocolate to me with a nice brown color. I've never used the oxides 'cause I'm kinda lazy...:grin2: + I like to try to use what I already have for "challenge testing" purposes. :D You could also try a chocolate FO and brown liquid colorant.

As far as the crystalizing, the only thing I can think of is what shutterbugg asked: are you wrapping as soon as you unmold?

HTH

Sharon

No I sure didnt. Would that help? I had made some chocolate soaps and had them on a plate. I gave some to a friend to try. She said that they were sweating and that the red coloring sort of crystalized on the outside. Im new to all of this..and just make them for fun. But Im having a hard time finding answers to my questions. thank you so much for responding...I would love to hear what anyone has to say about all of this! lol

I'm a newbie to making but I read somewhere you can use wax crayons as a coloring, just take a bit of the mixture from the crock pot and heat and mix with the melted wax crayon of your color and add back to the mixture. Not tried doing this myself mind, but Im going to give it a go.:wink2:

No, I wouldn't recommend using crayons for coloring soap. They are not FDA regulated for cosmetic use, and that's why you shouldn't use them. You have no idea what is in the ingredients and if someone had an allergic reaction it could be bad. (That also applies whether you or selling or not)

There are so many reputable companies out there that sell bath & body safe colorants, wouldn't it just be easier to use them?

Also, like some have mentioned, wrapping the soaps soon after unmolding should prevent the sweating and crystalizing issue. :)