My candle testing method....

jamie

I use 8oz tins. But I had a closet full of the 3 oz tins. So I did my math....hope is was correct, but I made each candle different scents and use dixie cups to mix and pour with. I figured the break down to be 7grams of FO to 57G of wax. (I'd have to look to see what % of FO was) I made 21 tiny tins, and I used the same wicks, but I used smaller ones for the smaller tins. I can't wait to cure these and burn to test the scent throw.

I had FO from SOS, MMS, C&S, and Lonestar. Since I never change my wax, tin or wick, I thought this would be a great way to test the FO from different companies.

Merry Christmas

Jamie

I use 8oz tins. But I had a closet full of the 3 oz tins. So I did my math....hope is was correct, but I made each candle different scents and use dixie cups to mix and pour with. I figured the break down to be 7grams of FO to 57G of wax. (I'd have to look to see what % of FO was) I made 21 tiny tins, and I used the same wicks, but I used smaller ones for the smaller tins. I can't wait to cure these and burn to test the scent throw.

I had FO from SOS, MMS, C&S, and Lonestar. Since I never change my wax, tin or wick, I thought this would be a great way to test the FO from different companies.

Merry Christmas

Jamie

That's only giving you a test in that 3oz tin so if you do other size/type containers you need to test those too. IMO you will not get a very good scent throw in such a small container. It's better to test FO for scent throw in a larger container like an 8oz Jelly Jar or something larger.

Yeah. It might give you an idea of if you really like the scent or not, but that's about it. A smaller tin is not going to throw as well as an 8 oz. tin, and it might not give you a good representation of strength. And it certainly gives you NO information as to wicking in your 8 oz. tins.

There's no way I can use the same wick in every fragrance I carry (even when referring to just one container). I do use one size wick for probably over 70% of my oils, but then there are others that I either wick up or down on. Unless you simply don't use oils that you can't wick with your "size X" wick, the "one size fits all" mantra doesn't work.

Yeah. It might give you an idea of if you really like the scent or not, but that's about it. A smaller tin is not going to throw as well as an 8 oz. tin, and it might not give you a good representation of strength. And it certainly gives you NO information as to wicking in your 8 oz. tins.

There's no way I can use the same wick in every fragrance I carry (even when referring to just one container). I do use one size wick for probably over 70% of my oils, but then there are others that I either wick up or down on. Unless you simply don't use oils that you can't wick with your "size X" wick, the "one size fits all" mantra doesn't work.

I have to agree 100% with what Beth says. You may find you're wasting time, product and money doing it this way. But hey, we all have our own way of doing things, so if this works for you, then that's great.

I at least will get an idea of cold scent. I think mixing a FO with wax is better than sniffing out of the bottle alone. I appreciate your replies. I'll never know til I try. Testing,testing, testing is how to come up with a good candle. My method may teach me nothing, but it's one test I can mark off my list.

Merry Christmas,

Jamie