Not to be cheap but.....(writing off christmas gifts/"donations")

LaVida

I gave 4 different baskets to 3 different groups - a local service club, a car club and a company. All will be raffling them to their members/employees.

The service club is a non profit, so that's a donation in kind. The others I write off as advertising.

I do get orders from these baskets, so I find they really work for me.

Any donations I make, I make in the spirit of giving. I do not write them off. This may not be a wise business decision,but for me a wise karma decision. I don't see anything wrong with writing donations off on taxes for others if that is what they chose to do.:D

She's not asking about writing off donations...she's asking about writing off gifts she has given people and no, IMO, you cannot. These are personal items withdrawn by the owner and are not tax deductable.

I don't think it's being cheap...I think it's being unethical.

If you are filing your business on Schedule C for federal tax purposes, donations are not allowed as a deduction. They are allowed as personal deductions on a Schedule A as long as they are given to qualified organzations, not to individuals. The only way you could write them off to individuals is as thank you gifts to customers(limited to $25 per person) or as advertising. As advertising, you should not take more than $4 per item.

thanks all... I read on this after I posted and decided it was not a deduction. I also decided that it was a Karma" decision when I got the gifts together... I was excited about just giving them away.... I hope everyone enjoyed them.

• 2 weeks later...