Daystar FO, am I doing something wrong?

Ilona

Hiya!

So I just got my pack of Daystar scents to sample and afetr all the glowing raves about the oils on here I am wondering if there is a trick to the mixing temps. I tried calling them but I guess they are closed right now.

Basically I poured 3 bakery scents and all 3 were amazing OOB but as soon as they hit the wax they went diesel/chemical and not so good. I mix all my FO at 170 and use ecosoya 135. I had something similar happen with a couple of the the MC bakery scents (cake scents).

So I am asking you, if you are a daystar lover... at what temp do you add the FO to your wax? One of the scents I tried was the Blackberry Jam Butter Cookie which was so good OOB but the hot wax seemed to kill it. I'm bummed as I love the scents.

Maybe I'll try to add FO at a cooler temp and see what happens.

Advice?

Thanks!

Ilona

i love the blackberry jam cookies-and i don't get any diesel smell. I use soy wax and i couldn't wait to try it, so i made one little "tart" with it. i mixed it at about 120-and that seemed to be fine. i'm new to this hobby, but i think i've heard that pouring oils and dye at too hot of temps, does weird things to your fragrance.

and let me say, out of the 50+ samples i've tried from other places including daystar ( i did a bunch of wax dipped bears for a few craft shows and friends and family) and there were only 3-4 that didn't throw well for me. and those were maple cream (could be that i didn't like that scent?) the peach jam cheesecake from daystar did NOT throw well in the bear, but i made a tart and it was right on... most everything else was pretty true.

and i really loved Daystar's pink grapefruit and sugar cane, it is truly awesome. i do have to say that i got cozy lil store and mimi's kitchen and am not impressed with either of those.

I even tried some 99 cent FO's from Wick's Wares or something like that, and those even threw very well. i haven't done a sugar cookie or vanilla bear because i think it will be too weak.

looking forward to someone else who knows more to help out!!

Heather

Once again that shows how several people can use the same FO's and get different results. Cozy Lil Store and MiMi's Kitchen are my two favorites.

There are so many factors that contribute to good scent throw, the type of wax, the wick, the amount of FO, our own individual sense of smell...As for adding at a lower temp. it really just depends on what the suggested temp. is from the manufactor. I use two different types of wax and one needs the FO added at a lower temp. and the other is very high.

With that said I have discovered in my testing with the waxes I use that the FO's I have from DS work better for me in B&B products. I have had problems with throw in my candles using several of the FO's.

I am thinking that it may be the temp at which I add the oils.

I normally add oils around 170 and I think that with MC and DS the bakery scents need to be added at a lower temp. I have to test it again.

I tied the Pink Sugar Cane one and it was perfect, as was the Better than sex cake and the Jo Malone dupes. So I am having issues with strictly the bakery scents.

Maybe It is my nose. (?)

I just ordered some more DS samples to test.

Thanks!

Ilona