Kimberly's Whipped Shea??? Help

ladysj

I want to try this but don't really want to make up that big a batch. I was wondering if I did go ahead and make up that big a batch how long do you think it would keep? I thought I would use FCO since it has a long shelf life. That way I can just take out what I need and add the fo. TIA

It will keep for at least 6-12 months if you keep it away from heat.

I would store it in an airtight container in the refrigerator. Take out what you need for a jar, bring to room temp and rewhip with desired fragrance. It will be much lighter and fluffier this way.

You can halve that recipe if you like and get the same results.

You can also add a preservative to keep the nasties at bay. Not usually necessary unless you add water to the mix.

You can convert the recipe to percentages and then just make a small amount. See the post above about shea butter. I posted the % of the whipped shea (modified kimberly's) I use. That way you can make just a small amount and see if you like it. I have found that if you make less than 8-10 oz. it doesn't work well with a stand mixer. YOu will need to use a hand mixer, but it still comes out really nice.

Ann

I realized the post I mentioned was about hempseed oil and butter no shea. You can do a search in the recipe section for Kimberly's Whipped SHea. Here is my somewhat modified version.

Here is what I do: Hempseed butter is just too expensive so I use the oil instead.

56.25% unrefined shea butter

9% mango butter

9% hempseed oil

13% shea oil

1.5% IPM

.75% Cyclomethicone

1.5% fo/eo

You can delete the IPM and Cyclo if you want and just up the shea. This comes out light and fluffy. I do not melt my butters. I just place them in my kitchen aid and let them whip away and then slowly drizzle in my oils. Once to my liking I add the IPM, cyclo and fragrace. I prefer using only unrefined shea because of the healing properties. You can play around with fragrances and find that certain ones definitely cover up the shea scent. Yet, I don't mind the scent of the unrefined.

Thank you Ann for this info it was very helpful. I'll try it this way from now. I did make up a full batch of it and I was really pleased with the way it turned out. I didn't have hempseed butter so I use all mango instead. It turned out really nice. I didn't put any cyclo in it but I think I will add a little bit to it though.

• 3 months later...

Oops, you are right. I left out the 9% macadamia nut oil.

Here is the correct recipe:

56.25% unrefined shea butter

9% mango butter

9% hempseed oil

9% macadamia nut oil

13% shea oil

1.5% IPM

.75% Cyclomethicone

1.5% fo/eo