What is up with....

the level of some of the candles I see being sold? Is it me or they filled way too low.. seems especially true with soy candles.. I understand contraction when it is especially cold, but these candles are being sold with the top 1/3 unfilled.. is this a characteristic of soy candles? Sometimes the wick is MANDO HUGE too.. I am just curious. I was not sure if this was just a result of mass production or if their candles are being poured by weight.. it just seems so odd to see a candle jar not filled to the top... any info would be great...

are they a store candle or from a crafter...I have found that most store candles tend to lack quality but I have yet to find a 100% soy candle in my local Target. As far as the wick is concerned I don't know what wick was in the candle you are talking about but soy generally needs a larger wick. HTH

I guess I should have clarified Mando Wicks.. I was merely referring to the length.. My first impression was a lack of pride in craftsmanship.. sounds like this may be the case.. I don't have enough experience with 100% soy to know for sure.. I thought perhaps it may have shrunk.. thanks for the info..

I guess I should have clarified Mando Wicks.. I was merely referring to the length.. My first impression was a lack of pride in craftsmanship.. sounds like this may be the case.. I don't have enough experience with 100% soy to know for sure.. I thought perhaps it may have shrunk.. thanks for the info..

Interestingly, I have noticed that if a soy candle sits unburned for a very long time (like a year or more), sometimes it grows.

Perhaps the manufacturer expected the candle to sit for a while? :wink2:

Me and my daughter were looking at the candles in the Christmas decoration section at Walmart the other night. There was a 3-wick candle and the wicks were not centered. It was like a machine wicked it and the jar was not centered under the machine. It smelled good, but I like mine! :)

Stephanie

Interestingly, I have noticed that if a soy candle sits unburned for a very long time (like a year or more), sometimes it grows.

I've only seen that happen with a wax that wasn't the greatest quality. This doesn't happen with the soy wax that I use.

I've only seen that happen with a wax that wasn't the greatest quality. This doesn't happen with the soy wax that I use.

It has nothing to do with quality. One of the problems with soy wax is stability. It changes over time and lots of soy waxes have some kind of "growing problem". I have 9 to 10 month old soy testers made with CB-135 that have flat tops but barely any wicks because the wax gradually swelled and swallowed them.

Apparently the candle mfgs like to sell by weight, so they pour a bit short to the weight they want. Since some are machine poured, the wicks will float a bit and get off-centered. Also to save time, the wicks are cut to a certain length, and then rely on the end user to trim to the correct length to burn. It seems to me that leaving the wick trimmed long on purpose, combined with explicit burning instructions provided to the end user, places some responsibility on said user to trim the wick correctly, resulting in the candle burning more like the chandler intended.

Soy can and will get "brainy" depending on how old it is and the humidity level. Soy "stabilizers" include adding 30% to 50% paraffin, or 3-4% beeswax or a vegetable-based soy stabilizer (believed to be lecithin). It doesn't really affect the burn or the throw, but it doesn't look good.

:2cents: geek