palm wax votives

airforcewife

looking at all of the different kinds of candles that all of you guys have made has made me want to try to make them and test out different kinds of waxes. The ones I made tonight are made from palm wax and they are scented some thing but I don't remember the scent. I really like this palm wax stuff its really cool but hard to find around here. But o well I will find some more. tell me what you think

post-4890-139458415677_thumb.jpg

They look good.

What are your test results for palm wax...

How is the Cold Throw?

How is the Hot Throw?

How well do they burn?

How long do they burn for (total burn time)?

I never got good enough results from palm wax to ever use it.

The scent isn't very good, its not strong cheap FO, they burn great no burn outs. so far the one I tested has been burning for about 4 hours and haven't really went down the candle, and the flame is great

Those votives look good! Now do your homework stuff with the testing, wicking, etc. Palm can sometimes give problems "dialing it in..." to the best wick. You have to power burn these to see what they will do because some important aspects of testing just don't get started in the first hour or so of a test. We not only power burn for testing, but we also light and blow out after 30 minutes... allow to cool... repeat... over and over to see what will happen when people burn the candle WRONG. We do a power burn without trimming the wick (except before lighting) to see what's gonna happen when the customer totally ignores the instructions we give with every candle we sell ("I don't need no steenkin' instructions to tell ME how to burn a candle..."). We even deliberately burn them in drafts! Short of allowing the cats to rub up next to them to see if they go "WOOF," we try to think of every abuse a customer will perpetrate on our candles to be sure they will perform safely and adequately.

I think what trips folks up with palm is that they expect it to behave like paraffin or soy and it just ain't gonna! It behaves exactly like palm wax. :D It doesn't drip the same, clean up the same, set up the same... :wink2: but its properties are repeatable, time after time. All you have to do is explore the properties of this wax with a fresh attitude and eye... a chihuahua doesn't behave exactly the same as a bloodhound, but they are both great breeds of dogs (just don't try to put a bloodhound in your purse and don't ask the chihuahua to track Gramps when he wanders off... unless he left a trail of malted milk balls)!

When a good quality palm wax is used and the same techniques, pouring temps, FOs, colorants, etc. are used time after time, palm is as predictable as any other wax. Start with the manufacturer's recommendations and experiment from there. I would not go so far as to say forget what you know about paraffin, because there ARE some properties the two waxes share, but just do not go into it with expectations based on your experience with another wax, or you may be frustrated.

Me? I LOVE the stuff! It's fascinating! :tongue2:

Hope you make lots more, airforcewife! :grin2: