Cost to make a 16 oz. soy candle -- wholesale

Holly

Holly, how many cases of jars are you ordering at a time? IMO, $1/jar in shipping costs is ridiculous!

Looking at your breakdown, I think the only thing that is going to bring your costs down is to switch jars to get something similar but that is less expensive and closer to ship. Your jar is $1.00 more than mine BEFORE shipping, that's a pricey jar!! If you're deadset against that, then embrace it and realize that you won't be able to wholesale them at that cost. Good luck!

Hey Trish, yeah I know they are expensive jars. You would know I would fall for one that is. The clear glass jar from TVG with the flat glass lid is 1.17 and the frosted one that I use with the wood lid is 2.19. They only carry the dome frosted lid for the other option for a lid on the frosted jar. This is $1.97. But I do not want the dome frosted lid....has the wrong look.

I have not ordered a pallet yet. I was not ready to do that. When I do I am sure it will bring the shipping down per jar. I can't remember exactly how many I ordered last time...would have to find my paperwork. I can double check the numbers on that. You are right, if I do not want to make a change in jars or if I cannot get the shipping down I may have to embrace the fact of no wholesale for me right now. I was just curious as to what others do who have this cost. To tell you the truth, I am not ready for a change right now. I had to make a change previously to produce a better burn for the soy I use (needed to change jars). The change and style just kinda happened.

Edited to add: If I went with all frost -- no wood lid -- I would order from Fairway or Reikes. Not sure how much less it would be though.

Sorry I forgot to answer that part.

Well here's my take on it. With high prices for everything and not being able to buy in pallets/skids, I can't see how it's worth it to wholesale. With that being said, I do have one small wholesale account to a Spa in my area and this happened by accident. Its o.k. and I do make a tiny bit of money but personally I'm not a wholesale fan. My DH, who from the beginning kept saying its a waste of money and time.....he now is bugging me to wholesale out. Its going on 2 years now and I have 1 wholesale, can you tell I do not like to wholesale.....LOL

I do have a small store front out of my home which I like better and was my plan from the beginning.

This is just me though. I like to take things very very slow.

SP

P.S. If something doesn't make sense its only because I've been trying to type this reply out for a few hours now....constant interuptions around here....LOL

Sorry I forgot to answer that part.

Well here's my take on it. With high prices for everything and not being able to buy in pallets/skids, I can't see how it's worth it to wholesale. With that being said, I do have one small wholesale account to a Spa in my area and this happened by accident. Its o.k. and I do make a tiny bit of money but personally I'm not a wholesale fan. My DH, who from the beginning kept saying its a waste of money and time.....he now is bugging me to wholesale out. Its going on 2 years now and I have 1 wholesale, can you tell I do not like to wholesale.....LOL

I do have a small store front out of my home which I like better and was my plan from the beginning.

This is just me though. I like to take things very very slow.

SP

P.S. If something doesn't make sense its only because I've been trying to type this reply out for a few hours now....constant interuptions around here....LOL

Hi Salt,

Thanks for the response. I have to be quick...need to head out for a bit.

I seem to see it the exact same way you do. And, I like you, like to take this sort of thing slow....not all things though. I have a couple of small consignments that are working out well and that I believe is enough for me right now. I will see how it goes in the future. I know this is a big dream but I would much rather have a store front than to deal with wholesale. I guess I would rather have my products in my own store instead of someone elses. But, I know this is a whole other ballgame which takes more money and hard work. It does not hurt to dream. :D This is what can keep a person going.....dreaming along with prayer and hard work. :)

Hi Chris,

Thanks for the info. I have considered using the frosted apothecaries from Fairway. I have a sample. However, they are a bit different. The ones I use are the thicker glass which I kinda like -- does not feel as fragile. Also, I am using the ones with the wooden lids. I just fell upon these jars when Candle Cocoon had them on sale when she was discontinuing them. I did not think I was going to like the wooden lids as much since I do not really have the country look. However, they have really grown on me and look so well with my logo. The wood dresses it down a bit to go with the treed logo (even though the trees are elegant) and the frosted glass ads the elegance. It is kind of a nice mix. Soooooo.....I am kind of partial to them now. Why is it that jars always have to be so far away?

I do love the look of the Fairway ones too (very classy looking) but I am so attached to the wooden lid look now. I have gotten a lot of good feedback. The only thing I do not like is that I can end up with certain lids that are shipped and look kind of ruff or does not have as pretty of a finish or wood grains. This bothers me a bit.

I do like the Jar Store prices, but I think they only have the clear glass apothecaries. The frosted jars always seem more expensive. TVG sends their glass in to have it treated with frost.

I wonder if anyone else sells the frosted glass with the wooden lids. I get them from TVG directly. I think that Fillmore carries the wood lids but not the frosted apothecaries. They do have the frosted footed victorian jar but that would look terrible with the wooden lids. Fillmore may be just as far away anyway....can't remember now where they are at now.

Thanks Chris for the response. I appreciate it. :)

Hey Holly, as I posted The Jar Store does in fact carry the frosted 16 oz apoth for 1.39 with the glass lid included. Otherwise Fairway will sell their 16 oz for around .72 cents each without the lid if you can order the lids from somewhere else.Chris

IMO paying for shipping your jars clear across the country is just nuts. I know you like the jars, but even if you buy a pallet, you'll have to have it trucked, and a 3200 mile trip is going to be expensive. Period. If you want to cut the cost of your jars, you need to find a much closer supplier, and if that means changing jars, then I would do it.

My 16 oz. Apoth's w/metal lids cost me under $4 (not quite as good as PA's, lol) but I wholesale them for $8 and they and I both retail them for $16 with no trouble. I've no problem with my wholesale price cuz these jars to me are easy to do.

Hey Holly, as I posted The Jar Store does in fact carry the frosted 16 oz apoth for 1.39 with the glass lid included. Otherwise Fairway will sell their 16 oz for around .72 cents each without the lid if you can order the lids from somewhere else.Chris

Hi Chris, you are right they do have them. I thought they did and when I checked quickly (earlier) I did not see them....clicked on the wrong thing...was in a hurry. It is a different jar (different neck and thinner glass), but I could try the wooden lid on it and see how it looks compared the the one use. I actually have a 16 oz. one just like that (sample from Fairway). I will see if the lids fits right and see how it looks. I believe Fillmore sells the wood lids separately. I sure wish they had the same jar (TVG one) on the west side. Do you know if TVG is an actual manufacturer or do they just sell a certain product? I was a little unsure on this.

Thanks for the info. I will see how it goes. :)

IMO paying for shipping your jars clear across the country is just nuts. I know you like the jars, but even if you buy a pallet, you'll have to have it trucked, and a 3200 mile trip is going to be expensive. Period. If you want to cut the cost of your jars, you need to find a much closer supplier, and if that means changing jars, then I would do it.

My 16 oz. Apoth's w/metal lids cost me under $4 (not quite as good as PA's, lol) but I wholesale them for $8 and they and I both retail them for $16 with no trouble. I've no problem with my wholesale price cuz these jars to me are easy to do.

Thanks for the head up. It depends on if wholesale is worth it to me, and if I really want to do it. When I changed to these jars I was not at the point where I thought much about wholesale. Wholesale came to my mind but it was something that I was not real interested in at the time. Things can change though, and I have thought about it recently. I have what I have now and don't want to jump into changing right now. I will look into other jar options but do not want to make a quick decision. I will continue to sell in other ways for now. :)

Hi Holly!

Since we live so close to each other, I know what you mean about shipping costs! We do have 1 local wax supplier in Spokane: Waxation. Have you contacted her about the waxes she carries? Maybe one of hers would work for you for wholesale?

Lori

Hi Lori, :)

Actually, the wax is not the issue. I get my wax in this state and the shipping is not bad. It is the jar that I ended up with that is the problem. It is not only a more expensive jar but comes from New York. I am not sure if another place carries the same jar. I know that Purette's (sp?) in WA carries the 10 oz. but they get them from TVG and sell them for a little more. However, since the shipping would be less it may end up being a better deal -- for the 10 oz. jar. I called them recently to see if I could order some of the 10 oz. and they said they were out of them.

Thanks for the suggestion just the same. Oh, do you know what wax that Waxation carries?

~Holly

fairways in NV will have better shipping for you for containers. Just order from their site and while checking out, it will give you a drop down menu to select the warehouse you are closest too.

Since you are in washington, i would really start getting your wax from Swans since you may be able to drive there.

for FO's I would suggest Cierra candles.

Hi Lori, :)

Actually, the wax is not the issue. I get my wax in this state and the shipping is not bad. It is the jar that I ended up with that is the problem. It is not only a more expensive jar but comes from New York. I am not sure if another place carries the same jar. I know that Purette's (sp?) in WA carries the 10 oz. but they get them from TVG and sell them for a little more. However, since the shipping would be less it may end up being a better deal -- for the 10 oz. jar. I called them recently to see if I could order some of the 10 oz. and they said they were out of them.

Thanks for the suggestion just the same. Oh, do you know what wax that Waxation carries?

~Holly

Hi again, Holly!

I don't know for sure what all she carries, but I know she has soy. It's nice to be able to cut out the shipping any time we can... and most of the WA suppliers have to add in a bit more per pound to help defray their shipping costs. The shipping just sucks all the way around.

You'll have to post if you find any alternatives to the jar situation.

Good luck!!! :)

Lori

fairways in NV will have better shipping for you for containers. Just order from their site and while checking out, it will give you a drop down menu to select the warehouse you are closest too.

Since you are in washington, i would really start getting your wax from Swans since you may be able to drive there.

for FO's I would suggest Cierra candles.

Hi Carrie,

Thanks, I will check into the pricing and shipping cost with Fairway.

I have been getting my soy from Swans for the last two years. I cannot drive there though....too far. I am on the east side of WA (very east side, 1 1/2 miles from ID border) and Swans is on the west side. I mean I could drive, but I would not want to go that far unless I was taking a trip there and buying a bunch. Hey, I guess I could load the horse trailer if I ever drove there to pick up a lot wax. :D Although, with the cost of diesel these days....especially in this area....it would probably cost as much to drive there as have it shipped from there. :tongue2:

Now, when it comes to FO I have to stick with what works. I would not want to be limited to Cierra only. I would definitely not limit myself on this, so I could do wholesale.

Thanks for your help Carrie and I hope your candle business is going well! :)

Hi again, Holly!

I don't know for sure what all she carries, but I know she has soy. It's nice to be able to cut out the shipping any time we can... and most of the WA suppliers have to add in a bit more per pound to help defray their shipping costs. The shipping just sucks all the way around.

You'll have to post if you find any alternatives to the jar situation.

Good luck!!! :)

Lori

Hi again too. :) Yes, I do notice that soy from Swan's is a bit more and I know it is because of their shipping cost. You know, maybe we are in the wrong business, maybe we should sell glass and FO. :D We sure need a better variety of glass suppliers up this way. Although, it would not be as fun. Yeah, the shipping sure does suck all the way around.

I am not going to fret. I am happy at the moment with what I make from retail. I can hold off on wholesale. It may not really be something I would like anyway.

I hope you are doing well and good luck to you too with your candle ventures. Someday, we should meet for coffee! Are you ready for the wind that is coming in? Where is the snow?!!!!! Our snow is melting. It better snow for Christmas! I think it is suppose to get cold again this weekend and the coming week.

~Holly

Ok, I went out into my shop and dug out my 16 oz. Fairway frosted glass container sample and put the wood lid on top. It has a slightly different look but it may work. I always liked the look of the jar. The lid was a little tighter but I don't think it is too tight. I still like the look of the thicker glass with the wood lid but I may get use to it. If this works out....if the pricing is right to make a difference.....it could be a good thing, because then I could have a choice of either wood or a frosted flat lid for my customers if I choose to do so.

Yup....TVG is the manufacturer.

Thanks. I had a feeling that was the case. If I asked Phil, I would have had to ask in a way that would not make him feel I am looking for the jars elsewhere. They have had great customer service so far and have been very helpful. I would highly recommend them for people that are closer to them or if shipping cost is not an issue. :)

Hi again too. :) Yes, I do notice that soy from Swan's is a bit more and I know it is because of their shipping cost. You know, maybe we are in the wrong business, maybe we should sell glass and FO. :D We sure need a better variety of glass suppliers up this way. Although, it would not be as fun. Yeah, the shipping sure does suck all the way around.

I am not going to fret. I am happy at the moment with what I make from retail. I can hold off on wholesale. It may not really be something I would like anyway.

I hope you are doing well and good luck to you too with your candle ventures. Someday, we should meet for coffee! Are you ready for the wind that is coming in? Where is the snow?!!!!! Our snow is melting. It better snow for Christmas! I think it is suppose to get cold again this weekend and the coming week.

~Holly

No kidding about being in the wrong business - have thought that myself many times... ;)

Not ready for the wind! We have very tall pines all around us and it gets worrisome when it's windy!! Maybe we can get that cup of coffee after the holidays! :)

Lori

I'm not sure when exactly, but Fairway is opening a warehouse in So Cal. Their Las Vegas facility has been closed for awhile, so my jars always ship from Dallas. The new location will definitely help me (wish it was close enough to drive!) but should help you too, should you decide to switch jars.