Testing Wicks

I have been testing my wicks by poking holes in the candle with a skewer, inserting the wick and heat gun the top. With every wick I put in, for the first 10 minutes, they have very tall flames and soot. After 10mins they either calm down and burn nicely or drown out.

Am I doing something wrong or is this happening because the wick needs to absorb the wax before I can judge the burn.

(Right now I am testing 16oz apothacary jars with J223 and 6% creme brulee FO)

Thanks for the help,

Kim

What are some examples of the wick types and sizes this happens with? One possibility is that they're too large.

Another possibility is that the wicks aren't trimmed to 1/4 inch before you light them.

Finally, it can happen if FO separates from the wax and goes up the wick. You get a tall smokey flame, then the wick clogs and dies down. Typically you'll get mushrooming as well.

If that's the case, you should make sure the FO is incorporated well. Creme Brulee can be stubborn if the wax and the bottom of the pour pot aren't hot enough. Usually it has poor wax compatibility but strong throw, so sometimes you're better off cutting back on it.

Thanks for the responses, I really appreciate it. I do trim the wicks to 1/4". I have a skewer i've marked on the flat end and I hold it next to the wick before I trim to make sure it's the right length.

I'll list below the wicks i've tried...

(2) CD-12

(2) CD-10

(2) CD-8

(2) CD-6

(2) CD-5

(2) Performa 85

(2) performa 90

(2) Performa (100)

(2) LX 8

(2) LX 14

(2) LX 16

(2) LX 18

(2) hemp 838

(1) hemp 1200

(2) 44-32-18z

(2) HTP 52

(2) HTP 83

All of these light the same. Big flames that calm down.

The HTP & the LX all drown sooner or later.

Also, the flames always look like they are in a little wind storm. They don't flare up after the flame has calmed down but the look like they are being blown around (I hope that makes scense). I thought I just had a drafty old house but I lit a hand-poured candle I bought last year and it is burning steady.

I thought I had incorporated the FO well. I added at 190 and stirred until it had cooled to 145 (my arm was tired).:D I didn't see anything at the bottom of the pot after I poured either.

I really appreciate any advise you can give me. I'm just not sure what is happening.:cry2:

I am having similar problems in my testing also. I think I am about to pour a non fragrant, non colored candle just to see if the burn changes. If it burns well then I know it's a problem with the FO or dye. I'll keep an eye on this thread for any good advice, but I think it's just a matter of patience. It looks like you have tried a lot of wicks kd, I hope you find the right one soon!

Thanks Bill and good luck to you too! :highfive: I am pulling my hair out right now and should be bald by Christmassanta eek :D . Keep us posted on your results.

LMAO, that's why I shave my head, so I don't have to pull any out!

My gut says the prime suspect is the fragrance oil, so I think I'd start by making one with half the FO to test that possibility.

If the wax isn't holding the fragrance well it can cause flare-up, soot and wick clogging. The FO could even be getting concentrated towards the wick as the candle cools.

If that turns out to be the explanation and the throw isn't good at 3%, you can try splitting the difference and see how it works at 4.5%. That can often give you a very nice throw with this scent.

Thanks Top - I will pour the next one with 1/2 the FO. Do you have any suggestions for incorporating the FO better. I lean towards vanilla scents so I guess I will have this problem alot.:tongue2:

Thanks again,

Kim

You may already be doing fine with the incorporating. It's just that most of those vanilla types have poor wax compatibility, so the maximum you can use is often less than with many other scents. It depends on the exact FO and what wax it's going into.

I don't know if it makes a difference in the candle itself, but you might find it mixes with less effort if you warm it a bit and/or if the mixing pot isn't sitting on a cool surface when you add it.

Let us know what happens.