I hate votives!

Okay, I've been making votives for 2 days now and they are a total pain in the butt! The colors have come out wonderful! I'm using KY all natural pillar/votive wax and it's nice to work with. The wick burns nicely in it! The problem is, I'm using a mold that has ring tops. When my votives finally cool, I still get the nippling around the wick pin and then a dip. I don't know how to describe it, but I'm not happy with it. I've done 2 pours and they're are just not cooperating with me. Is there some trick to this?

Stephanie

I did that and there was a line and the votive broke off where the 2nd pour was made! Talk about shocked! I have votives in pieces! lol I poured hotter and there was no line but I still have that stinking dip and then the nippling around the wick pin. I'm gonna play around with them tomorrow and see. I've got a lot of wax and 4 molds! lol Thanks, though!

Stephanie

Candlebuddy, I thought about that but my boyfriend said it would probably melt the mold as the mold is plastic! I wasn't sure. This is a plastic 6-pack votive mold from pourette. I'm not sure how high of a temp it will stand. I'm gonna play around today and try a couple of things out. I know a while back, when I first started with clamshells, I had major frosting problems with the PureSoy and some dipping (for lack of a better term), and someone recommended to pour slushy. That helped out a bunch, though with certain colors I still got frost but I got smooth tops. Anyway, I eventually went to doing them without colors. I'm gonna try a couple of things today.

Thanks!

Stephanie

Okay, I poured at 120 and so far, there is very, very minimal nippling around the wick pin if any at all. There are just 2 that have it so far! lol Now if they just pop out easy and look nice, I'm on a roll! lol

Stephanie

And the best part of all - YOU can spell VOTIVE correctly! So now you can be the votive queen........I hate votives also.....but I hate it when people call them VOLTIVES! lol Glad you are getting them.....I hate them in the winter time when it is cold - everything looks rustic - when it is not supposed to!

lol Thanks! lol I don't ever want to be the votive queen. These are not fun! lol Of course, other than the nippling, it would help if my darn house was level! lol Oh, well, live and learn. I'm gonna play around with them some more, but don't be surprised when you see my votive molds in the classified ads! :)

Stephanie

I think the metal ones would be much easier. I'm doing these for my brother and they are a pain! The ones I got done that I tested are burning great and the colors (lavendar and yellow) came out beautiful. It's getting the bottom of the votive to come out straight with no dimpling. I got a plan, though! lol Okay, I did the cooler pour and it was too cool. My next batch I'm going to pour at a warmer temp and pour just below the top and then top it off later, but when I top it off, I'm going to pour a little over the top since my counters aren't level and then either cut off the excess with a hot knife or melt the bottom to flatten it out. Either way, I'm gonna get these down and then I'm done with the plastic molds!

Stephanie

What wicks work best with this wax? I've just started testing with it and really love the way the candle looks. I poured a cinnamon red hot votive consisting of 1 oz fo and one dye chip. The candle came out bee-u-ti-ful! However, I put a LX 14 wick in it and it performed poorly. Real weak flame and eventually sputtered itself out. What wicking is best for this?

I'm using the self-centering wicks from KY. They're 36-24-24C. I haven't tested for scent throw, just testing to make sure the wick is okay for the size. I went shopping today and bought some 2 oz glass measuring cups and I'm making my votives in those. They are straight and not tapered like the Dixie cups. I'll probably use Dixie cups later on if I decide to make more. Plus, I got a heat gun! lol I told my boyfriend, that thing could blow dry my hair in 2 seconds flat! lol And NO, I would not use it to dry my hair! :)

Stephanie