Discouraged

Hi everyone ! I want you to know that I am very discouraged. I figured I start making tarts, that were out of this world, on a part time basis, and make a hobby into a small income. So far I have spent more than I should have and not seen the results that I expected.

The only positive thing is that if I make tarts out of Joy Wax (container wax) with 1.5oz fo. I get great throw. Yes the first inexperienced move I made was to get Joy Wax (very good wax for what I can see) and make tarts. Naturally they were very sticky, yet when I popped some in a simmering pot I got an excellent throw. Since I had purchased the wrong wax for tarts, I ended up making candles and getting hardly any throw.

Lastly, I purchased LP 416 and my tarts don't melt in the electric tart burner or the simmering pots. The first two batches were small and the heat went up considerably in my little fryer and these actually have a better throw then the ones were I kept the heat low. These tarts are very hard, I am wondering if any of you use any other tart wax that is softer ( I had purchased tarts on the internet and they were perfect and a little softer than the ones I made). I am thinking that If I bring up the fo to 12% instead of 3tbsp per lb (I think the difference isn't a lot) that I might get a better through as long as I bring the temp. up to 180, maybe ?, and add fo at 160 and pour at 120.

I am waiting for NG's, Santa's wiskers, Loving Spell, Pink Sugar, Cinnamon Buns, Frangelico Strussel so that I can pour my next batch. I think that I will test 1lb at a time to see what happens.

I must say that I am very happy to have found this forum.... it is lonely out here... when you are starting out.

Thanks for posting and please post advice. :cry2:

Just reemeber that when you make tarts with container wax they will be sticky. I use the C3 and I love it but just for the container candles. We don't make tarts very often because we have more of a demand for the container ones. So, I'm not sure what would be a good tart wax. I know a supplier I uses makes her "so-in-demand" tarts from the ecosoya pillar wax, but I have nevere tried it.

Hi everyone ! I want you to know that I am very discouraged. I figured I start making tarts, that were out of this world, on a part time basis, and make a hobby into a small income. So far I have spent more than I should have and not seen the results that I expected.

The only positive thing is that if I make tarts out of Joy Wax (container wax) with 1.5oz fo. I get great throw. Yes the first inexperienced move I made was to get Joy Wax (very good wax for what I can see) and make tarts. Naturally they were very sticky, yet when I popped some in a simmering pot I got an excellent throw. Since I had purchased the wrong wax for tarts, I ended up making candles and getting hardly any throw.

Lastly, I purchased LP 416 and my tarts don't melt in the electric tart burner or the simmering pots. The first two batches were small and the heat went up considerably in my little fryer and these actually have a better throw then the ones were I kept the heat low. These tarts are very hard, I am wondering if any of you use any other tart wax that is softer ( I had purchased tarts on the internet and they were perfect and a little softer than the ones I made). I am thinking that If I bring up the fo to 12% instead of 3tbsp per lb (I think the difference isn't a lot) that I might get a better through as long as I bring the temp. up to 180, maybe ?, and add fo at 160 and pour at 120.

I am waiting for NG's, Santa's wiskers, Loving Spell, Pink Sugar, Cinnamon Buns, Frangelico Strussel so that I can pour my next batch. I think that I will test 1lb at a time to see what happens.

I must say that I am very happy to have found this forum.... it is lonely out here... when you are starting out.

Thanks for posting and please post advice. :cry2:

I'll try the 50/50 (joy container/ LP416) to see what happens.

Can I still put in the 2oz / lb (12%) FO ? Can I bring the temp. up to 180 and mix FO at 160 and then pour at 110-120 ? I measure my FO with either a pirex measuring cup or measuring spoons.

Thanks for replying.... keep it comming.

You are actually better off weighing your oils because they will vary in weight a great deal, so measuring them out by liquid measures will change according to the oil.

We use 12% (this % because you aren't using a flame/wick to melt them) in our tarts (I use a paraffin and add my own additive, Vybar), and these make a very strong, long lasting tart, that sell very well for us! (paraffin is so much easier to pop out of a burner IMO!)

Good luck!! (Don't get discouraged, we've ALL been where you are, and still go there sometimes!!! LOL!):wink2:

Thanks, I will weigh them from now on. I wanted to stay away from paraffin and I thought that I could get a good throw from soy ? The Joy wax is a soy paraffin blend that contains vybar. Do you think that I will get a good result if I go 50/50 with the 100% Soy LP416 ?

Lastly, I purchased LP 416 and my tarts don't melt in the electric tart burner or the simmering pots. (....) These tarts are very hard,...
MP of LP 416 is 130-135F. What is the temp. of some melted wax in your burner/pot? If the 416 isn't melting, then the 'simmering' temp. may be too low to do the job. Then you'd have to just rely on the cold throw of the unmelted melt.:tongue2:
I am thinking that If I bring up the fo to 12% instead of 3tbsp per lb (I think the difference isn't a lot) that I might get a better through as long as I bring the temp. up to 180, maybe ?, and add fo at 160 and pour at 120.
It sounds like you may be using weight & volume measurements to calculate FO %. Of course I could be mistaken and you could be using volume(FO) & volume(wax). It'll help to communicate FO amount here on the msg board using weight(FO) & weight(wax) measurements/calcs. That is *if* you were going to ask for help in that area. However, whatever you do, maintaining measurement consistency is important for your own purposes. :smiley2: