It's all your fault!

Because you all loved yours and kept talking about them I just bought a Turk & Surf, and now I need some help.

Because I read everything I could find, I know I need to cover the element with melted wax before I turn it on, and I know I need to poke relief holes. Here is where the problem/question comes in. What do you all use to poke relief holes that won't hurt the element, or don't you go that deep? And here comes another question, Do you have a problem poking all the way through soy if you have let's say one half a melter full and it's not even warm yet?

I know I probably sound like an idiot, but this dang thing is sooo big (been using Presto pots for years) that I'm about half afraid to turn it on. I need to pour 30-26 oz apothecaries tomorrow, so please have mercy on me and give me some advise. All help is appreciated! Sandi

I use a LONG thermometer, like 12" that I bought at WalMart and stick it in one of the holes in the lid, works to poke holes and gives temp. I think the pointed thermometer will poke a hole in soy just fine. Don't be afraid of it, it's just like a BIG presto. You will soon love it. Carole

DH made a long metal skewer to poke relief holes and even fixed a spot by the pot for me to keep it, knowing my habit of misplacing things. I was a bit afraid of mine when I first got it. But as Carole said and DH pointed out to me, it's just like a big Presto. I'm so in love with my Turk & Surf. The best purchase I ever made.

I had an order to make 200 6oz metal tin wedding favors. I filled it with wax poured it into seperate pitchers to scent and cool down in able to pour and I cleared 200 candles in 4 hours. Half the work was cut down because there was less time used to melt the wax because it holds so much. I have a presto pot and that thing is shoved in the corner. So far I haven't read any bad reviews on the Turk & Surf. I just don't recommend paraffin to be used with it because the wax does come in direct contact with the heating element. It was worth my $100 bucks.

I got so sick of having to stop, fill up the Presto, wait on it to melt, and then go again, that I decided this was the next reasonable step. I got it for $79.00 with my 20% off, so it was a good deal. Now I'll go pour since all of have helped me.

I got so sick of having to stop, fill up the Presto, wait on it to melt, and then go again, that I decided this was the next reasonable step. I got it for $79.00 with my 20% off, so it was a good deal. Now I'll go pour since all of have helped me.

Wow for $100.00 I'm going to buy on right after the holidays. So tell me, where is the best place to get this pot? So this is a turkey frier?

Can someone tell me what is so great about these? Is it just that you can melt more wax than the presto pot? I keep hearing about it, but want to figure out if it is something i need! lol

Yes, it's because it holds a lot more wax than a Presto pot, plus comes with a spigot at the bottom to dispense melted wax. WITHOUT your having to install it. lol

They also have a thermostat so you can set the temp to the needs of your particular wax. :)

Edited to add: Yes, Roma, it's a turkey deep frier.

Romasoy, I got mine from Bed, Bath and Beyond online. I did it online because my local store didn't have any. It was on clearance for $99.95, but there wasn't any 20% listed anywhere, so I just emailed them that I had the coupon (from the Sunday paper) and they emailed back and said to take my packing slip into the store and they would refund the 20% to me. I haven't seen them cheaper anywhere. If you want one, you might want to jump on it, because they are a clearance item. Sandi

Does everyone use plastic pitchers to pour into?

Don't use plastic pitchers...they'll retain the scent plus you can't keep them warm while mixing. Use glass or the aluminum pour pots. I use the glass coffee pots (4 cup to 12 cup) fill with wax and set them on a flat pancake griddle to keep warm to add fo and color. This way I have pre-measured, colored and scented wax ready to go and can just pour pour pour!

You can get the griddle and replacement coffee pots at any wally world, kmart, big lots etc...(I do not recommend using the alum pots on the griddle...glass pots only!)