When is the best time to...

ruba

Bevel or plane the soap? Is it right after you are able to cut it, a few days later, a few weeks later?? Just wondering when is the best time. I have done several searches and have not found what I want to know...but all sorts of other good info:wink2: .

TIA for any adive you guys and gals can give me...as always, I really appreciate it.

It totally depends on your recipe. If you have semi soft soap though, it's harder to get clean lines. I've got a pretty hard recipe, and if I'm going to bevel or plane I do it about 3 days after it's cut. Softer recipes you can push to 1 or 2 weeks.

Thank you Bunny. I think my hardness (according to soap-calc.) is 39 so I guess I am the softer side. I only have 4 batches under my belt and am making one today for the swap #2...I am almost up to counting them with 2 hands LOL!!

Thanks again Bunny!!

It totally depends on your recipe. If you have semi soft soap though, it's harder to get clean lines. I've got a pretty hard recipe, and if I'm going to bevel or plane I do it about 3 days after it's cut. Softer recipes you can push to 1 or 2 weeks.

Have to disagree here. I bevel and polish after the cure, six weeks or more, right before I box and it works out just fine. It's never too late to bevel.

I prefer to do it after the bar has cured also. I find the soap crumbs stick to a fresher bar than a cured bar. On a cured bar, I can brush it off, on a fresh bar, it wants to stick to it.

Take a batch you have now, do half and save half to do later and see how this compares for you and what your preferences are. This is one thing with soap making that there is no right or wrong answer.

I use a 30% lye solution so my soap is pretty rock hard after 12-15 hours in the mold. So I bevel while my soap is freshly cut. I also stamp then too.

I have found that the hardness scale on soapcalc can be off. It told me my castille would be 24 or something like that, and my castille was as hard as a brick the next day.

Oooh, for castile try a 40% lye solution - it's amazing - you get beautiful bars that are nice and hard almost immediately. Still a "mellowing" cure period is very desirable (the longer the better).

But go no higer or you will end up with crumbles.

A lot of the numbers are off in the calculators - they are good for a starting point but you will get much better info from trying it.

I have been too scared to go any higher than my 30%. It is amazing how much even a 1% difference will make. I tried a 29% solution last week just to see what it would be like. Blehh, hated it.

I need to make some more castile one I get some regular olive oil. The last batch I made I kept all to myself:DI use it for everything, I even brush my teeth with it sometimes.