Sample question?

LynnS

What do most of you pass out as samples for potential customers to help get wholesale accounts, fundraisers etc.Tarts, votives, 4 ounce or 8 ounce jars.

Would some of you please give me some ideas what you do??

Craft shows are not getting it and this year something happened whenever one was going on.Talked to my friend who was in charge of a Christmas show she wanted me to do last night.I couldn't sick with bronchitis.Only one candlemaker and she said people were sniffing.So I am bummed out.Had to cancel another this week-end because still have the bad cough that won't stop.Even been on meds so I have to get into other things.Sister-in-law having a surgery tomorrow and cannot go and she may not live through it.Very serious.So can someone help me with ideas.

Any ideas on where you have products?What type of stores etc.I did try a flower shop and she was kinda detouring me because she said craft stuff and candles sit on the shelves.

Thank You

LynnS

Lynn try Nursery Schools or Daycare Centers, school athletics or leagues for fundraisers. Local spas or massage places are also a good place to go. I personally give out votives for samples, they work best for me!! Feel better soon, I went through that bronchitis and pneumonia for almost 6 weeks so I know it's no fun. It put a real damper in my extra money this year as I ended up cancelling a couple of fundraisers and many home parties. :undecided

Thank You ChrisR for the suggestion.I am sorry for you having to cancel those fundraisers and candle parties.That is alot of potential money and hope the fundraisers keep you in mind next year and maybe you can do some spring candle parties.I don't know what is going around but this is really bad.Today is my best day but tomorrow morning it will feel like I am down again.I took the worst coughing spells trying to eat and couldn't.Never happened before.I THINK mine is about to pass but just not sure.6 weeks I feel really sorry.It has been 10 days for me and was more than I can take.Friend has it and said the same thing.Called her today and she answered saying "I'm dying".She got it from her husband.

Tootie Thank You for concerns.Sister in law was not able to have surgery today because her infection is back.She has had one for 6 months and it comes and goes.Took a couple months for doctors to find the cause.Found it is an allergy to plastic in body from a heart procedure she had done 12 years ago.The problem is need to get her well enough to do a skin graft.So far haven't. If skin graft doesn't take and the plastic is in her leg artery she can lose both legs(circulation).She told her husband don't let them do it.Just not good.

Tootie I answered about you quitting candlemaking and just want you and your husband to stay safe.It will take some getting used to.But you will be with your companion and best friend.

TARTS and VOTIVES it will be.FP votives because don't have the hang of the others yet.Only made one and it was fine but the FP votives are a breeze and last longer .Going to pick my smelliest scents and make a bunch.After this bug/cold!!!Seems I wouldn't smell but my husband's cigarettes make me sick. :grin2:

LynnS

Over the years we have developed two answers to your question. If WE approach someone about setting up a wholesale account, we leave them with a nice jar of the type we are trying to sell. If THEY approach us, we don't give anything: if they are seriously looking for wholesale candles, we have found no one has a problem with purchasing them. Plus, they have no problems with minimums. In almost every case where someone asked for or hinted for samples, they were just looking for freebies.

I also like the tin and hex ideas.I have the larger tins (8 oz) but never made any for 2 years.Have stuck with the jars.Will see if I can get them(small) locally.The tins have a good scent throw when on warmers and also wicked.The hex jar(small) I can get at the Flower Factory about 25 miles.That is a nice wholesale place but the 8 ounce JJ's really have gone up so get them from Candle Source or Candlemaker Store. They are reasonable.

David That is interesting.I looked last night here for that nice "Wholesale Tips" article rom Barn Cat and couldn't for the life of me find it.Even did some searching here and then WA LA it is BACK.I have alot of reading to do later.Finally feeling better and going to get out.I am so unhappy I missed a big craft show today but told them to keep me in mind next year.500 kids doing some band thing and their parents.URRRRRRRRRR I am upset.To tell you the truth at the last few craft show I had teens and younger come and buy my candles.Then the younger ones would go over and show dad what they got for MOM.Cute.

Freebies I can understand people want.If you only knew how flooded this area is.I think I need something really different and unique.A friend goes to shows and to Market places where candles are sold.Tells me what they look like.I guess I am not a surfer and check things out.She buys the candles and then gives me feedback.Tells me what scents she likes.Hey she buys Wal Mart candles too with a coupon and when the candle doesn't burn all the way she digs out the remainder and uses it for a tart. She told me she is due for more candles and tarts.

Guess I will go do some errands and go by the big craft show and be sick again.HA!!!!!!!!!!!

Cannot wait to read all that wholesale info.I started once and it was alot to comprehend.I will take notes this time.

Thank You

LynnS