Bad checks

lanes_light7

For any of you that have received a bad check from a customer. What do you do after you have already tried to contact the customer to no avail? Should I send a certified letter to her or should I just contact the States Attorney's office where the check writer lives? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

How much was it for? Depending on the amount, it may cost you more in collecting than for what's it's worth. I had one that I called, emailed, sent letters to and nothing. So I contacted the police dept, and they said I had to contact the office where the transaction took place, which was in another state. Eventually I got the money, but the officer never returned my phone call becaue it was under $100. I;ve collected all but 2 so far, sometimes it's just an accident, but if you can;t reach by phone, chances are you won't get it.

I used to manage a local Pizza Hut, when I would get a bad check, I would first place a call to them then send a registered letter, if they didn't respond I just took the check to the DA and they handled it from there on. Didn't cost anything as the DA tacks a fee onto the total of the check when the person came to pick up the check, then the DA would issue a check to Pizza Hut. HTH

Thanks for the replies! I tried calling this person & they never returned my calls so I sent a letter certified/return receipt. Here in Illinois they get 30 days to pay but in the mean time I will take the check to her bank. It was only $35.00 but for me it's not about the money. People shouldn't write checks if they have no money in their account to cover it. From what I hear it's not uncommon for her to do this. Wish I would have known before!