Ink on labels fading

Tizimarezie

I purchased High Gloss labels from onlinelabel.com and I love their prices and quick delivery...but the labels that I printed a week ago have faded horribly. :confused: Red is now orange and black is now grey. The printer and ink I'm using is the same as what I use to print my digital camera photos and I have no problem with fading ink/photos. Do you suppose it's a chemical in the label itself?...and, if so, would Avery be a better quality choice? Any advice/input would be appreciated.

TIA

Aloha Tia,

Sounds like your printer ink and the labels you purchased have an incompatability of sorts. I use the waterproof labels from Elements Bath & Body. Their waterproof capability is outstanding, however, my labels will fade (I have a photograph on my label) over time -- especially if exposed to lots of natural daylight.

I found the solution was to give a quick coat of clear spray paint across my labels after they were printed. I have no fading since doing so. Perhaps its something you may want to try?

I found the solution was to give a quick coat of clear spray paint across my labels after they were printed.

I ran to the craft store today and purchased Krylon Preserve It, a paper finishing spray which sounds similar to the spray paint you mention. Smells like the dickens but gave a nice coat so I think this will work.

Thanks for the info!

• 6 months later...

Bumping this old thread because I just got back from Walmart and couldn't find the Preserve It spray. Ended up getting Krylon Acrylic Crystal Clear spray. Would this be the same clear type spray that was mentioned in this thread (hopefully)--TIA

I use the clear labels and have had no problem, of course I print everything in black. Did you think to change your paper type. I got a epson printer - Stylus photo R260 and I change the paper type to premium photo paper glossy and they always turn out real good. hth

I tried that same spray originally, but found I got the same results with the$1.26/can clear spray paint from WalMart -- so I switched.

If you do lots of labels, you may want to experiment with the cheaper stuff, too.

Yup, even the cheapo dollar store stuff works.. Don't wast 7 bucks a can on that expensive stuff!