The latest from Italy Pic added!

:DHi all, I'm laughing tonight! Well I should be desperate because of the mess a new supplier has done shipping my order (you won't believe it: 30 lbs of paraffin in spheres, shipped in a bag of paper.. the bag arrived broken and 8 lbs are OBVIOUSLY missing), but I'm happy because this new supplier now carries palm wax. It's a lot cheaper than paraffin. When I saw it on the site I asked them if this palm wax crystalizes, what are the reccomended temps and so on. They kindly answered "the candles made with palm wax look exactly as the candles made with paraffin, but this wax is having great success because of the cost which is a lot cheaper than paraffin".

Well, I ordered a bag just to try it. Wonder what the wax is doing right now in my mold? It's crystalizing!!!!! And they don't know it!

I'm thinking not to share my secret with them, so I will always be the one and only italian candlemaker with crystalized candles!

Thanks for reading!

:undecided I'm not laughing now.. yes, it crystalizes.. but it's also cracking! And it seems it is contracting toward the pavement, on the bottom (the top for now) there is a very thin film, then a cave, then the pillar..

Never saw a thing like this before!

Is it common for palm waxes? I used one type of palm and it didn't do so!

:tiptoe:

Yes. BUT ... be sure to make relief holes and keep filling it in. As for the cracking, I'm not familiar with that. I know that the palm will cause many air pockets so if you can, keep the relief holes open and repour and see what happens. This is palm for pillars right? Not containers?

Palm wax -- it is much easier to fill in those little caverns and so forth with a repour once it has cooled quite a bit. You might check out the veggie section for times on the cracking though.

Being that here there's no way to have precise information on the materials I don't know if it's a mix between two waxes.

The appearance is exactly as the palm wax I already have, it's in micro spheres.

The behaviour it's the same, but I don't have any specs for this wax. this evening I will take the pillar out of the mold and see what it looks like...

Thanks!

Hi Scented, yes it's for pillars, it shrinks less then the other I have but once cooled gets away from mold sides.

I will read again in the veggie section.

Thanks!

Yes. BUT ... be sure to make relief holes and keep filling it in. As for the cracking, I'm not familiar with that. I know that the palm will cause many air pockets so if you can, keep the relief holes open and repour and see what happens. This is palm for pillars right? Not containers?

Palm wax -- it is much easier to fill in those little caverns and so forth with a repour once it has cooled quite a bit. You might check out the veggie section for times on the cracking though.

Here's hoping no cracks!! I know there's a palm steric out there that may help. I just never went beyond experimenting to see what this wax does and to get it to burn right. I do think it produces great looks, but it wasn't something I opted to keep going with. Looking forward to seeing whatcha got!

here it is!

I tried this wax without stearin. It has crystals, and the surface is shiny and glossy, if you look carefully (you can't see it in pic) the surface looks like it has slightly crackled.

Not bad, I like the satin look and feel to the touch of palm waxes, but even if this is glossy and smooth it has its own charme!

What do you think? Maybe Top is right, it's a mix of par. and palm!

post-1267-139458414021_thumb.jpg

Oh I love that look!! I think it's probably supposed to look that. Pour more and see if it duplicates. Also vary your temperatures and see if the design alters in any way. (Stop making me want to go back and play with this stuff LOL!)

Scented, I will play with temps and keep on teasing you!:grin2:

It's nice, yes!

I didn't think it's a mixture, but I thought you could make a mixture and get with the latest trends in European candlemaking. :)

What did you wick it with?

Hi Top, no wick in there yet. I just poured to see the crystals, it's not scented. So I don't know if remelt it and add FO or test a wick as it is. I use 36 fb for palm pillars will start with that to compare burnings.

Have you any idea about a smooth and glossy palm wax?

Have you any idea about a smooth and glossy palm wax?

I don't know specifically about smooth and glossy, but these palm products are all about chemistry. There are several different substances in it that can be varied according to the processing and blending. They can produce palm stearic and other palm waxes with many different properties.

I'm curious about what they're doing over there. I keep hearing about the 60/40 candles and I think they're probably using the kind of stuff you got for blending. Maybe I can get something similar and try it.

This sound curious, I'm in europe and I don't know a thing about 60/40 candles.

I met the "president" of a candle company, he is very into safety and keep an eye there in your country, we talked a lot but neither him told something about vegetable waxes.

All they use is paraffin.

I have to do a search.

Anyway I decided I'll add FO. then maybe a little stearic.

Do you want a little of this wax?:D

I don't know specifically about smooth and glossy, but these palm products are all about chemistry. There are several different substances in it that can be varied according to the processing and blending. They can produce palm stearic and other palm waxes with many different properties.

I'm curious about what they're doing over there. I keep hearing about the 60/40 candles and I think they're probably using the kind of stuff you got for blending. Maybe I can get something similar and try it.

Thank you very much

I'm not good at taking pics, and in writing. I should improve my site.

But thanks for looking at it!

I enjoyed going through your site. I spent what seemed like hours trying understand what I was reading and actually comprehended quite a bit. Very interesting! Thanks for sharing.