Need Help! Frosting disaster!

Ok, last night my EZ soy candles looked great, then when I woke up this morning, they had graining white crystally bubbly looking patches along the sides of the 8oz JJ! Is there anyway I can remove this without remelting and repouring? And will doing that even help?

I was thinking about taking a heat gun to the sides of the jar, but I don't know if that will help. These are thanksgiving gifts that I need ready ASAP.

It seems like when I pour hot I don't get this problem, but yesterday I poured at 100-105 and it's worse than ever. I'd rather not remelt and repour because I lose scent.

Please please please help! I wish I could send a picture, but I'm at work. Hopefully someone will know what I'm describing!

TIA~

Kelly

Well crap crap crap. I can handle the frosting on the tops but on the sides like this just looks horrible. One of the candles is a dark brown color, FO Hot Chocolate, I'll just say its the marshmellows in the Hot Chocolate.

Thank you for your quick response I just wish it would have been better news. I'll just get one of those cardboard things they put around coffee at starbucks so you don't burn your hand to cover it up.

Step away from the heat gun!!! It WILL make it worse. It's a soy thing... I'm thinking that frosted jars were MADE for soy! lol...

-Kristi

LOL, you guys don't fully understand the whole situation though. It's for my mom, she's going to be all 'why the hell does it look like this' and then make a face at me. And explaining the nature of soy to her isn't going to help, she isn't going to care about the nature of soy.

Also I don't think it can get worse it covers almost the sides completely. On the bright side, the top looks great!

I wonder if it's because I used liquid dyes for that candle?

Anyone have tips on reducing the likelyhood of frosting? If you had tips on eliminating, you'd be a millionare.

Should I remelt the candle and try again or just let it go? *Sniff*:undecided

~~Kelly~~

It's for my mom, she's going to be all 'why the hell does it look like this' and then make a face at me. And explaining the nature of soy to her isn't going to help, she isn't going to care about the nature of soy.

Just reply with a straight face, "It's frosted for the Christmas Season! You know, like sipping hot chocolate by a frosty window on a cold winter morning! Doesn't it look cool?" :wink2:

Just reply with a straight face, "It's frosted for the Christmas Season! You know, like sipping hot chocolate by a frosty window on a cold winter morning! Doesn't it look cool?" :wink2:

Yeah yeah, that could work, 'Duh mom it's supposed to look like that! Do you have any idea how hard it was for me to get it too look like that!? Geez mom!!'

:cool2:

AH-HA! Looky what I found in my EZ Soy Instructions! The liquid dye I used in this candle could be the problem. Great I wasted $20.00 buying liquid dyes. On the bright side: I get to place another ordre for some block dyes (my perfered dyes - too bad I can't achieve the bright colors with the blocks)

~ Dyes:

We recommend Dye Chips or Dye Flakes, or our Pro Powders for best results and less frosting in soy waxes. Some Liquid Dyes contain solvents that can increase frosting.

Go Colorless...problem solved! :wink2:

Boyfriend says I can't. And I quote, "People aren’t going to want all white candles." He likes the frosted look, but the again he knows that is the nature of soy, he says he likes the look of it.

I almost wish I would have started out with Cargil instead of the EZ, but now i've put so much money into the EZ, I don't want to start over. Seems like from what I read here that EZ frosts the most of all the soys.

AH-HA! Looky what I found in my EZ Soy Instructions! The liquid dye I used in this candle could be the problem. Great I wasted $20.00 buying liquid dyes. On the bright side: I get to place another ordre for some block dyes (my perfered dyes - too bad I can't achieve the bright colors with the blocks)

Blocks were not any better then the liquid dyes. IMO

EZ soy was a froster no matter what temp I poured, or dye I used.. :tongue2:

EZ is a froster but I've never heard one person complain to me about the way the candles look. You are probably more worried about it than your mother would be.

I had some Southern Pecan Pie candles that I poured once. They frosted in such a strange way ... almost in stripes. It almost looked like I had poured layered candles. I was mortified, but people loved them and thought I did something special to make them look that way. Of course, I'll probably never be able to duplicate that look again!!

The beeswax can help some with the frosting. There are also some liquid dyes that are made for soy. They are called EVO dyes, and they are supposed to help w/frosting too, although I havent used them yet so I cant say for sure if it works. Now, about the all white candles. Many people perfer them, as they dont have to worry about the candles color clashing with their decor. What I do to add that little bit of color to livin them up, is I use clear labels. I have a square frame that borders my label, and depending on the scent, I color that frame to match it. For example, Apple Jack & Peel I use a red border, Vanilla Lavender gets a Lavender border, etc... I am a weird person and dont mind the frost that appears on colored soy. Many people assume it is intentional, like a rustic thing. But, I make all my soy candles without dye unless they request color.

I think I read that someone else was marketing there all soy candles w/color as "little frosties". Sounds cute and wintery to me, LOL! :D

EZ is a froster but I've never heard one person complain to me about the way the candles look. You are probably more worried about it than your mother would be.

I'm so obsessed with them being perfect you have no idea. Even the ones for myself. I just fear the majority of people don't know what soy wax is, the nature of it, and will be turned off by the look of it. Of course I'm basing that on nothing.

Oh and who suggested the EVO dyes? Yeah that's what I need to do, spend more money!! LOL :) I guess that's why your name is "Funny"girl. ;)

lol...welcome to candle making...in my opinion one of the most expensive hobbies I can think of, be prepared to spend a few dollars to make a good candle. I just switched to making all white 100% soy candles in tumblers to save myself from the headaches of color, so now if it frost you will never know :tongue2: I also did something that I thought I would never do but I started working with GL 70/30 for all my color candles, so far it has been a pleasure and makes a great looking and smelling candle and still have 70% Soy and great colors :smiley2: BTW Ecosoya CB Advanced is the only soy I know that will resist most frosting and acts like a blend...but you do loose some scent throw. HTH

I've found something that works, but it is not very practical and would end up driving up your electicity bill, unless you poured a bunch of candles at a time.

If you pour hot, like right after thoroughly stirring in your FO, then place the candle in an oven that was pre-heated to about 125-150, and turn off the heat. Letting the candle cool very slowly like that always turned out great looking candles for me, but it was too much work. I was going to do just uncolored but I get too many requests for colored ones, so I'm explaining away what frosting I do get, which isn't that much.

geek

You know when you look up in the sky at night on a really clear night and all you see are white dots all different sizes? That's what my candles look like, some galaxies, some commets, and some stars. The name I was going with for my candles has the word "star" in it. I could totally use that. My candles have stars in them!

You know when you look up in the sky at night on a really clear night and all you see are white dots all different sizes? That's what my candles look like, some galaxies, some commets, and some stars. The name I was going with for my candles has the word "star" in it. I could totally use that. My candles have stars in them!

Great marketing idea!!! :highfive:

You could call you company - STAR-BURST SOY CANDLES..:D

Then... Just a thought....

What if the candles you make stop frosting..

(You know how some frost in batches and some don't)

Then what??? LOL

Great marketing idea!!! :highfive:

You could call you company - STAR-BURST SOY CANDLES..:D

Then... Just a thought....

What if the candles you make stop frosting..

(You know how some frost in batches and some don't)

Then what??? LOL

Say it's because of El Nino. LOL!