wick up or down?

if you have a wick where the flames are getting smaller does that mean you wick up or down?

If your flame is too low and not reaching the circumference of your jar and you are not getting a full mp after a 3hr burn then yes I would agree that you need to wick up. BUT if you have a full mp and your wick is dying out or is burning weak then it probably means that your wick is clogged. How is the candle burning otherwise? How large is your mp? Is your candle tunneling? Need a little more info to be able to properly help you.

i am testing a couple of different scents right now and some or not reaching full mp and sooting bad no matter how much i trim and some are reaching full mp but drowning. i think i am using too much fo. i am using 10 and 16 oz apothecary jars which i should probably double wick. igi 4630 is the wax i am using but i am using 10% with all the fo's and LX 28 and 30's. TOP said those are blowtorches :D . i am going to redo them with lower fo %'s.

Country,

do you use this wax? any trouble with it?

Trying less FO is probably a good idea, but you might want to order some HTP or ECO sample packs just in case you need them. Those LX I think have more tendency to clog than the hotter burning wicks, which could maybe be a problem if you go to smaller sizes for double wicking. CandleScience has sample packs of all those.

I've been to Tucson. The coutryside around there is amazing, between the mountains and the desert.

Wow, that is a long way to go from New your city. I did not like it when i first got here. i missed the grass and still do. The mountains are pretty though.

I think i have some samples left over from lonestar. i will try that as well. Man i hate this testing! I need to slow down before i kill myself and my family with soot. i swear i blew my nose this morning and it was black!

We use 4630 and have not been able to use a single wick in the apothecary jars...even tho I would much rather do that then double wick!

If you want to try double-wicking, and have LX10's, try those. They are working for us so far. We have to go up to the LX12 with the heavier scents.

HTH

(I am from near Rochester, NY but visiting in Phoenix this week...love AZ!)

Yep, too much FO IMO.

10% for the 4630 (which is what I use also) is just gonna give you those smoking problems you've been having.

It's probably also why your wicks are drowning.

This wax is a bit persnickety in how it's used, and if it's not "just so" you'll get that smoking business.

It took me a long time to make this wax work for me, and now I love it. ;)