Discoloration rant

ruba

I know that FO's can discolor your soap, I have heard of all sorts of tans, and browns...but BRIGHT FREAKIN' ORANGE!! I had planned on doing a purple in the pot swirl and thought even if it turned out brown it would look fine.

I used Cierra Candles "Cashmere Bliss"

"DESCRIPTION: Cashmere Bliss fragrance oil for candles, soap, and potpourri.

A beautiful, sensual, feminine fragrance. Soft and pretty. Suggested color: pastel pink"

How the heck can you get pastel pink if your soap is bright pumpkin orange??:undecided

Not only did it discolor the batch it almost completely siezed up on me the moment I put it in. It was a sight to see me stirring, dumping the purple in and trying to get the lumps in the mold all at the same time:laugh2:

It has pockets of FO close to the top and whenever I cut a slice it came oozing out.

OK, now my rant is done and here is a pic of it still in the mold...I haven't taken any of the slices. I am still trying to decide what to do with it. It really did look (and act) like pumpkin filling:wink2: .

Thanks

100_2891.jpg

I'm really new to this CP stuff, so I'm only asking questions I would ask myself.

First, I think when they suggest Pastel Pink, I think they are talking about candles? What type of dye did you use in the soap? I tried using some blue and got purple, used red and got mud red. So unless you know that the colorant you are using in the CP soap will really color, it's a hit and miss.

Sorry that it seized up on you. I'd be freaking out if it were me!! If you could safe it...you could call it

"Cierra Cashmere"?

Sorry I can't help anymore.

I don't think Cierra tests their fragrances in CP. I could be wrong. But I think when they say soap safe, they are talking about MP. When I first started I bought some fo's from them but I wasn't doing soap then. I have not tested their fo's at all in cp I don't buy them so I could be wrong.

"soap safe" means that it is SAFE for wash-off products based on its chemical composition. It does not mean it soaps well or anything like that. It really has to do with regulatory affairs and all.

There are different regulations depending on the anticipated exposure (wash-off, leave-on, and for candles and air-freshener products too)

I do have to say that I LOVE their FO's in my lotions, srcubs, milk baths, etc. I did soap their Oatmeal. Milk & Honey and it discolored to a nice light tan... no problems with accelerating either. They are here in Reno (I live 45 miles away, but am in Reno several times a week for school) and I love to go in an smell the FO's before I buy. Guess I will just try and stick to the "Scents That Rock in CP" list until I get more $ for testing soap FO's out. I am just bummed because this was for my friend to give as C-mas gifts and I had to dig thru my FO's for something non-sweets smelling. She wanted something clean. I found a sample of JS White Barn- Raindrops Type and surprisingly I thought that it wasn't enough FO for 2.5# batch, but it smells nice, so we'll see what happens to it during curing.

I agree that they probably don't test for CP, but they do show their colorants for CP. I will still use them for FO's probably not for soap though.

Thanks for letting me vent.;)

I know that FO's can discolor your soap, I have heard of all sorts of tans, and browns...but BRIGHT FREAKIN' ORANGE!!

Yup, I had a batch turn bright orange as well, wasn't the same fo ( or company) that you used though. After the shock, I was thinking, this isn't all that bad but sadly to say my batch ended up turning a very, very dark brown.

Oh girl, I know what you mean. I tried to soap Elderberry from Solas last night. Can't do it. At least I can't .. Bright bright Yellow. It was BRIGHT and when I put micas in it, the nice pretty bright colors of my micas are now in soap that look southwestern colors. :undecided Oh well. Dang it.