Selling candles for the first time

lise_pi

I have a lot of people expressing interest in buying my candles. I have not yet gotten a tax ID and I'm not a registered business owner. I also have no insurance since I've only been making candles for personal use.

Do you recommend selling candles without being registered or having insurance? Please help!

ok if you make soap you can get the soap crafters guild insurance for like 500 a year which is cheap.it covers candles bath & body and of course soap. you need to have soap somwhere in your line though. i got zoned from the city i live in with no problem but we own are house . check with your local zoning board and see if they have a problem with you renting and starting a business or if you own if they have a problem with you having a home based business

Ok. Thanks! I'll look into making a couple of soaps then too:smiley2: Always open to learn something new.

I thought zoning laws only applied to business owners who had customers buying directly from the business address (like a store in a privat home)?Or did I completely misunderstand that?

Is it a problem if you make your candles in your house/apartment but don't own your house/apartment you live in?

You may need to get permission to work from the home from whoever owns the building. When I first started making candles, I lived in an apartment and I was told I needed written permission from the company that owned the apartments to work from home in order to get licensed.

• 7 months later...

I just got a copy of our zoning laws (Michigan) and if I am reading this right, I cannot make the candles in my own home. Am I reading this correctly?

(5) No toxic, explosive, flammable, combustible, corrosive, etiologic, radioactive, or other restricted materials shall be used or stored on the site.

Thanks,

Dawn

Insurance is a a must IMO to cover your butt in the case something happens. And since we don't know what a customer will do when they get our products home, it is better to be safe than sorry. While it would be those bringing the lawsuit to prove that your candle or product was defective and therefore resulted in the loss or injury, you will still be required to defend yourself in that case. And one case alone could financially ruin you. Read this thread for an example of what a customer can do and what can happen:

http://www.candletech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=53479

Be careful if you are doing it out of your home that it does not conflict with your homeowners insurance. Lots of homeowners insurance will not cover you doing candles and B&B out of your home. They frown upon it. It would suck to lose your homeowners insurance.