Need help picking a new wax!

Hi,

I have been making soy candles for over a year and am now wanting to try some paraffin wax to see the differences in scent throw and wicking. I was looking on Bittercreek North and am trying to decide which wax to order. I'm trying to decide between IGI 4627 or IGI 4630. Out of these two which one would be the best one for me to start with? Another question I have is Soy wax comes in flakes but the Parafin blends come in slabs or in the case of the comfort blend it comes in a large block. Are they really hard to cut and measure out? Also what is the difference between like the low shrink blends and pre-blended paraffins? Thanks for the info.

I use the 4630, its very soft. You can cut it with a knife. Its a nice wax, if you pour at the right temp it comes out completly smooth with no need for a secound poiur. I havent used the other one, so I cant comment on it. I have used a screwdriver and a mallot(camping kind) to brake up my hard waxes. Good luck, you may just want to get both in 10 lb slab to see which one you like the best. The 4630 is a little difficult to wick I think.

I see a lot of people use that 70/30, how is it compared to J50? Anyone know? I wonder if it wicks and acts about the same, just curious. I get a lot of wet spots with the J50 but I like how it handles and wicks and throws.

I use the 4630, its very soft. You can cut it with a knife. Its a nice wax, if you pour at the right temp it comes out completly smooth with no need for a secound poiur. I havent used the other one, so I cant comment on it. I have used a screwdriver and a mallot(camping kind) to brake up my hard waxes. Good luck, you may just want to get both in 10 lb slab to see which one you like the best. The 4630 is a little difficult to wick I think.

I agree that 4630 is difficult to wick.........My problem is that 4630 soots really bad no matter how I wicked it!!! I could not sucessfully wick that wax to save my life. I like the 1275 one pour production from C&S. It wicks easily and burns clean. But that is just me!!:)

choosing a wax is so hard. My best suggestion to you is to buy 1 or 2 lbs (do a shout out in the classifieds) and test both kinds (or however many) that you are interested in. I primarly tested in jelly jars because they are pretty easy to wick when I was choosing my wax. What one person thinks is hard to wick is another persons favorite wax, it's all really preference. JMO. Good luck!

choosing a wax is so hard. My best suggestion to you is to buy 1 or 2 lbs (do a shout out in the classifieds) and test both kinds (or however many) that you are interested in. I primarly tested in jelly jars because they are pretty easy to wick when I was choosing my wax. What one person thinks is hard to wick is another persons favorite wax, it's all really preference. JMO. Good luck!

Yea, I figured..lol..thanks...