attn: Tart Addict re/roller scent

DonnaPatrick

Tart Addict, what are you making your 1/3 roller bottles with? I saw a recipe that said to use 50% Cyclomethicone, 48% Fractionated Coconut Oil &

1%-2% FO. I'm wondering how you'd do the math? Half of 1/3 would be 1/6th, but what would 1% of 1/3 be? & how would you measure by weight, on a scale, such a small amount?

If anyone makes these, can you tell me what you do? Do you weigh the Cyc&FCO and do the FO in droplets? and how many?

I once read somewhere that someone just does it by sight & fills 1/2 the bottle with one, the other 1/2 with the other & then adds fo, but how much fo? Thanks. I'm very interested in these roller bottle ideas for body scent. Thanks you

By working in percentages, this method allows you to make as much or as little as you want. Here's the breakdown.

50% Cyclo

48% FCO

2% FO

So, If I want to make 16 ounces of spray, I'll move the decimal point over two notches to the left, and mutiply by 16. So it'll look like this:

.50 cyclo x 16 = 8 oz

.48 FCO x 16 = 7.68 oz

.02 fo x 16 = .32 oz

If you want to make 135 ounces, just take out the 16, and mutiply by 135. This way, you can make the exact same recipe whether you need 2 oz or 2000 oz of finished product.

Well, 1/3 oz is .33 ounces.

So you would take .0033 and mutiply it by the percentages give. Granted, you'd have to have a super accurate scale, but it will work!

You could also take those small number, and find an online conversion calculator and do it in milliliters for the cyclo and fco, and convert to drops for the fo. HTH!

I do it the lazy way. I do 1 roller at a time with a pippette. For my Monoi roll ons I do 1/2 - 1/2. (fco/monoi) no cyclo. For my other roll ons, I do 1/3 cyclo, then fco till it's just below the neck line, then I add about 8 drops of fo, if that isn't enough I add more. (I always do 1 tester) If 8 drops work, I fill the rest of the way with cyclo. Shake shake shake. I don't believe there is a set amount of fo that you should use. I want the scent to last, so I do it to my taste.

I use more fco in the rollers cause I like the properties in it.

But that's just me. :D

I do it the lazy way. I do 1 roller at a time with a pippette. For my Monoi roll ons I do 1/2 - 1/2. (fco/monoi) no cyclo. For my other roll ons, I do 1/3 cyclo, then fco till it's just below the neck line, then I add about 8 drops of fo, if that isn't enough I add more. (I always do 1 tester) If 8 drops work, I fill the rest of the way with cyclo. Shake shake shake. I don't believe there is a set amount of fo that you should use. I want the scent to last, so I do it to my taste.

I use more fco in the rollers cause I like the properties in it.

But that's just me. :D

Yes, but your "lazy way" is in portions I can understand!!! My scale would never be able to weigh out the different portions involved in breaking down for just one single 1/3 oz roller.

So basically, you are doing 1/3 cyclo, almost 2/3 fcl & 8 drops FO. I will try that.Thank you very much:grin2:

I have bought finished products, from etailers, who made body roll ons in 1/3 oz roller bottles. They are made with cyclo & FO & when the bottle is sitting on the shelf, I can see that with certain FO's it doesn't stay mixed & I can see the actual separation & it looks like there is ALOT MORE THAN 8 drops of FO in there.

Does anyone have a sure fire "formula".

I've given up on trying to make individual bottles of scent & have only been making 8 oz sizes & pouring them into bottles. I have had requests for individual bottles of one scent at a time, sometimes a few different ones at a time & I have had to decline & only offer the ones I've made bigger batches of. I would love to have a formula to do just one at a time.

Each fragrance requires it's own testing. There is no "sure fire" fomula. There are no shortcuts in the testing process

I guess I knew the answer to that one already! I guess that's why I decline to make the smaller ones. Oh well. Thanks anyhow

Hey :) I'm just making the Lava Lip Gloss (recipe off of the BCN website using glycerin, castor oil, flavor oil, and food coloring), no perfumes or anything. And as for math...you should check the post I did yesterday in the Candle section...it's regarding how mathematically challenged I am, LOL :) Hope you got your question answered. Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

D

I sell hundreds of these things (altho I use jojoba oil, don't like cyclo) and believe me, the amounts are different for each FO. I need just a couple of drops of Pink Sugar (I use SW) to scent the whole .33 oz bottle, but I need a heck of a lot more than that for a lot of other fragrances. You have to test it out.